Bye-bye Teddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuketheDog

Maybe he'll be replaced with Joe Biden riding a pronoun-confused buffalo ('bison' to some...)? I think at least former-President Roosevelt will be happier in North Dakota than he was in New York City...He was my favorite character in Night at The Museum though, sad times.

Curious whether the OP has actually been to AMNH or if he’s just feigning outrage about something happening in NYC?

And yes, it’s reactive and wrong to remove the statue.

NY never did appreciate it's native son.
Move it to DC on the mall. Then put PePe next to him.
This country better learn from it's history,before it's gone in the meto verse.

Disclaimer,take all the confederate statues you want. My family fought for the Union.

Curious whether the OP has actually been to AMNH or if he’s just feigning outrage about something happening in NYC?

And yes, it’s reactive and wrong to remove the statue.
Really Saranac84? Feigning outrage? Explain to me how visiting AMNH has a damn thing to do with being disgusted about the Teddy Roosevelt statue being removed. There have been a lot of things that have happened in this country in the last 18 months that I don't have to see in person or participate in to know they are absolutely wrong and taking this great nation down the wrong road. I will be waiting for you to enlighten me on where I have to go and what I have to do in order to share my opinion on a decision or issue.

The original post was made with the intention of lighting a fire and highlighting the societal rift in this country. If not, why mention Biden? Why does post #2 reference George Floyd? There are forum members that apparently think this is Facebook.

I can’t tell you how many times I ate lunch with my father on the stairs of that museum, right under the statue. I don’t want Teddy removed. But posting about it on HT doesn’t change anything. The original post and link was all about fueling a fire. These topics have been discussed ad nauseam. If you want an echo chamber, great. But I don’t have 3,000 posts, so I should probably just shut up…

Here are some words from inside the museum to consider.

78B126FC-4E15-4389-97C3-5517D5C6270A.jpeg

Last edited:
I wonder, once we remove all historical objects from the public eye, does that mean that prejudice and hate goes away? If so I'm gonna need a cry room and does anyone have a suggestion for a proper pronoun. Don't wanna piss anyone off. Oh sorry sure I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The original post was made with the intention of lighting a fire and highlighting the societal rift in this country. If not, why mention Biden? Why does post #2 reference George Floyd? There are forum members that apparently think this is Facebook.

I can’t tell you how many times I ate lunch with my father on the stairs of that museum, right under the statue. I don’t want Teddy removed. But posting about it on HT doesn’t change anything. The original post and link was all about fueling a fire. These topics have been discussed ad nauseam. If you want an echo chamber, great. But I don’t have 3,000 posts, so I should probably just shut up…

View attachment 209590
I don't really have a frame of reference as I have not ever participated in social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc., etc., etc.) I think an employer made me create a Facebook account once and I never used it. Social media is another significant problem with this country (my opinion only).

I agree with some of what you say, just not how it was delivered, and you certainly don't need 3,000 posts to share here. Varying opinions are appreciated and welcomed from most here, especially from me. I like people that make me consider other points of view, even if we don't see eye to eye.

We likely have more in common than our first few posts back and forth would appear. I hope your Friday goes well and the draws are very kind to you this year!

View attachment 209590
Hey HT, ^that's called taking the high road. I appreciate it @Saranac84

It’s to the point it’s comical now. It doesn’t really matter where you fall in the political spectrum, the idea that removing a statue will erase and “bad things” real or imagined just points to the superficial and look at me nature in modern society.

It’s a world where a photoshopped bimbo on Instascam gets a bazillion likes and someone that wins a Nobel peace prize gets trolled.

Take the statues down, burn the books, erase all history. It worked really well when the barbarians did that to Rome. I mean plunging humanity into the dark ages for 500 years sounds like a real hoot!

You don't know me, so you have no basis on which to guess what the intention of the post was. Maybe it was intended to light a fire, maybe it was intended to expose (again, ad nauseam) just how ridiculous our country has become about deleting history to foster a popular narrative, maybe it was just me posting a headline and being glib about how we're replacing people who did things with people who don't.

I don't know you, so I can't guess if you're trying to stoke debate, protest non-hunting-specific content on HuntTalk in a strange way, or just trying to show how woke and righteous you are. You are wrong about one thing, posting about things like this is about the only way many people will every hear of it. Anyway, if you'd like to take the debate to Facebook I'll have to go dig up my password, I'm sure it's around somewhere.

I love the words by Roosevelt that you posted below, I've read them many times. I'm afraid the sentence about "practical good sense" has clearly not been fully absorbed by some though. There is another quote I'm fond of that has been repeated by various historical figures over the past 100 years, it's about being doomed to repeat the past.

View attachment 209590

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back