Buy American made?

According to Maven they are assembled in San Diego though they are building a bigger facility in Wyoming to try and bring as much as possible ‘in house’ into the state of Wyoming.

Definitely can be double checked but they are saying they are assembled here.
Assembled from what point? That's the question. Trim rings and eye cups and rubber armor isn't assembled in my book, but opinions vary. If they are truly installing in the prisms and installing the glass elements and doing the collimation adjustment good for them.

It does matter. Covid proves how we are screwed in a crisis trying to rely on other countries for masks, meds, chemicals. If we ever went to war with China we at this point will suffer from being cut off from supplies. We need to take more manufacturing back from other countries. Buying leupold is a good step verses buying something from another country. I always try to tell people to look at Leupold first for scopes. But spotters and Binos it's a buy the best bang for the buck since it's not USA made. It's a shame no one builds a US made binoculars anymore. Or even a fully assembled bino. I know a couple are taking mostly built chassis and then finish them with custom components but they still aren't assembled in the no
No disagreement that we are reliant on our enemy in China. Unfortunately that's not going to change any time soon. Not sure what we as consumers can do to change that. It seems the 500-600 elected officials in DC might not have our countries best interest in mind....surprise, surprise.

The $300 binos I looked at this week were Leupold & Made in the PRC. It seems for less than $800 a good pair of binos will be Chinesium.

Does anyone try to buy “American made” products over a cheaper alternative? I get that most, if not all, high end binos are from the European area. Scopes seem to be manufactured from more different areas of the world.

Main point is I can’t stand buying anything that has anything to do with china. I get you can get quality items manufactured there that pass quality controls to meet certain standards. And by doing this, it greatly cuts costs to the buyer, but I still try to avoid it.

Am I the only one?

What’s your go to brand for whatever it is you like to buy/u

I forgot about this thread & went on a rampage earlier.
But I am done buying crap made elsewhere.....or here.
Wranglers are crap now.Same with Levis. Carhart too.

Ordered some American Made Jeans today,back ordered. And they e-mail correspond...ring ring ring...
Origin or Jocko jeans,$124? and you cannot talk to any one.....he doesn't need my $ I guess.

I watched that link and looked at what Danner is doing here.The boots I wore for years as a Park Ranger are no longer available,but they make a similar,lighter version here,they say. Last time I looked 5 years ago the leather was half the thickness. But they are made here....if they retained the quality they once had.

Been wearing Lowas daily since I threw the last pair of 20 yr old Danners out.
I will buy quality from elsewhere,but nothing chinese or foreign anymore, if I can help it.

Ordered Darn Tuff socks from the factory today too.

Duluth got too big and make the same quality as others now. And don't care if a zipper fails.

I forgot about this thread & went on a rampage earlier.
But I am done buying crap made elsewhere.....or here.
Wranglers are crap now.Same with Levis. Carhart too.

Ordered some American Made Jeans today,back ordered. And they e-mail correspond...ring ring ring...
Origin or Jocko jeans,$124? and you cannot talk to any one.....he doesn't need my $ I guess.

I watched that link and looked at what Danner is doing here.The boots I wore for years as a Park Ranger are no longer available,but they make a similar,lighter version here,they say. Last time I looked 5 years ago the leather was half the thickness. But they are made here....if they retained the quality they once had.

Been wearing Lowas daily since I threw the last pair of 20 yr old Danners out.
I will buy quality from elsewhere,but nothing chinese or foreign anymore, if I can help it.

Ordered Darn Tuff socks from the factory today too.

Duluth got too big and make the same quality as others now. And don't care if a zipper fails.
Just be careful. A ton of the Italian clothing and footwear is just Chinese factories and Chinese labor relocated within Italy to get that "made in Italy" tag. It is one of the primary reason COVID-19 rocked Italy so bad at the outset.

Can't recall any Italian stuff,oh I did have an Alpha Romeo once,for a year.
I do look at the companies now and all. I'm retired...lol

Just cancelled an order from REI. Been a member for 30+ years...

I try and buy leupold if i can and absolutely love my mark 5hd scopes. That said most if my rifles are made in japan (howa) spain bergara (though my premieres are made here, and finland (sako) though my lever guns are US made.

@Red_7.08, @TheTone, @rtraverdavis
I talked to a Leupold rep yesterday about a Costco exclusive Rainier for a friend and he told me that anything mounted to a rifle and all Gold Ring products are American Made. Everything else - including all binoculars - are not made in America.
My Leupold binos came in a box with Made In China on it. My Leupold rifle scopes Made in U.S.A.

Not sure what we as consumers can do to change that. It seems the 500-600 elected officials in DC might not have our countries best interest in mind....surprise, surprise.
Companies and politicians pander to what consumers want. 30 yrs ago consumers cared more about cheap HD tvs than the human rights abuses of the Chinese government so we normalized trade. If the majority of consumers would actually buy American made and sourced products and pay the price premium this would entail then you would be surprised at how fast it would happen. I see it in the food industry all the time - folks say they "want" less processed and organic but they spend their money on the cheapest more often than not. Too few American consumers are willing to pay for domestic durable goods manufacturing so there is none. That is on us, not the politicians, not the big companies, not the glitterati - it's on us.

Last edited:
My Leupold binos came in a box with Made In China on it. My Leupold rifle scopes Made in U.S.A.
Yup. I'd like to get some American Made Binos - but as people said previously in this thread I don't think any are fully made here anymore. At best you get like Maven - parts made overseas - assembled USA.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back