PEAX Equipment

Butch Cassidy, mule deer hunter?

Hannibal

On my way to Las Vegas, Nevada (yeah, we know about the one in New Mexico) I decided to drop by Circleville Utah, the home of Butch Cassidy. Though he was born and spent most of his early youth in Beaver, Utah before leaving home at about 16, I believe he lived on his family's ranch several miles outside Circleville for about 3 years. It looks like an outstanding area for deer and elk both. After inspecting the house, inside and out, my thoughts turned to mule deer for some unexplained reason. Like any self respecting mulie hunter I scouted the ranch property around the house for deer sign. And there it was a short distance from the house, a pretty fair amount of deer droppings. However, I wasn't able to locate any tracks. Everyone knows he was the " most successful" outlaw in the history of the west but I wonder. Did he or didn't he hunt mule deer? Just a thought when I went in search of Butch Cassidy but not the Sundance Kid.

MY Grandfather ranched down in that part of the state. Old family legend was that my grandfather knew his Sister/Daughter/Niece relative, or some sort. I can't remember the person she was.

In any event, somewhere, I have a great old Black and White picture of my grandfather with a nice mule deer buck out of that country. I have his .351 Win that I believe was the gun in the photo.

So, I guess it would be a near certainty, that anyone on a ranch in those days, when hungry, would have a mule deer for food.

Great looking area. I think I'll apply for a Utah tag for that area. By the way, I'm absolutely amazed at the detailed knowledge you have about Idaho. Your location may very well be "south of the border" (Canadian), probably east of the Washington and Oregon borders, west of the Montana and Wyoming borders and most likely north of the Nevada and Utah borders. But I think I've figured out your true location. In any case you are always right on track when it comes to Idaho.

MY Grandfather ranched down in that part of the state. Old family legend was that my grandfather knew his Sister/Daughter/Niece relative, or some sort. I can't remember the person she was.

In any event, somewhere, I have a great old Black and White picture of my grandfather with a nice mule deer buck out of that country. I have his .351 Win that I believe was the gun in the photo.

So, I guess it would be a near certainty, that anyone on a ranch in those days, when hungry, would have a mule deer for food.
Having kin from that country explains a lot about you! ;) :D

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back