Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Bulls for Billionaires - MT EQC Meeting today 1:30 PM

You can also buy a sheep tag OTC for $1250 as a non-resident. Again, could double many of the current prices, or at least increase them to be commiserate. Your $1300 would get you and your three best friends exactly 1 day of skiing at Big Sky w/tram access, on a weekday, non-holiday. In 2010, it would have cost you $100/each. Your big game combo hasn't gone up all that much, and quite frankly, it's easy to complain about landowners and tell everyone they need to get paid, so a price increase that covers that part of equation has to come from somewhere.
This is a honest question and not a bash. Do you feel the resident prices are where they should be?

And they’d still sell out.
I don’t think so …. Just my opinion but I don’t think the big game combo sells out if it’s $2600 next year … lets hope it is tho - maybe get you residents on some more private land via block management lol

What do you guys here on Hunttalk truly want out of Montana elk hunting? I feel like some people want more elk but no significant change in seasons. Some guys want better quality hunt with less competition but don’t care about age class? Some guys want to hunt 350+ bulls every year?

I don’t think so …. Just my opinion but I don’t think the big game combo sells out if it’s $2600 next year … lets hope it is tho - maybe get you residents on some more private land via block management lol
They would sell out.

I mean not when you have better odds at killing an elk in CO OTC for $700, what's ridiculous is the CO success rates for 5 day seasons are better than a lot of MT units.

What do you guys here on Hunttalk truly want out of Montana elk hunting? I feel like some people want more elk but no significant change in seasons. Some guys want better quality hunt with less competition but don’t care about age class? Some guys want to hunt 350+ bulls every year?
I want MT middle class folks to have a decent shot at killing an elk every year.

I want public land DIY resident hunters and big land owners to be able to work together on management plans that increase elk herd size, but with practices that get elk on public land so that landowners aren't taking on all the burden.

Personally I had a great time hunting MT as a resident and hope other folks get to have similar experiences.

As a non-resident, I would love to be able to hunt MT DIY every 5 or so years, and be able to plan that hunt in a reasonable manner, without the chaos of the current system.

Seems like a NR should pay 10X a resident license.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are also a shit load more people in those 5 days than most MT units seen in 6 weeks.
I would disagree I’ve hunted Colorado 3 times with deer tags, saw good 6 points on 2 and several bulls on the other. I suspect if I was hunting elk I would have got one. It’s a different class of hunting in Colorado

I'd like a better experience. More elk bigger elk fewer people. If that's only every 5 years for 7 days so be it

No. But we are getting what we pay for. Throwing more money at it won’t fix a damn thing.

If a deer tag wasn’t in on the big game combo license I wouldn’t even get one but it’s more expensive to buy everything individually and skip a deer tag than it is to get the combo with deer tag

Landowner needs to be compensated by FWP for providing for elk, allowing public hunting, and still having damages.
Landowner needs to prosecute criminals.
Hunters need to pay more for licenses, to pay landowner..
Seems pretty straightforward and simple. Agree 100%. Things don’t ever seem to be able to work that simple. Ugh. Why not

I would disagree I’ve hunted Colorado 3 times with deer tags, saw good 6 points on 2 and several bulls on the other. I suspect if I was hunting elk I would have got one. It’s a different class of hunting in Colorado
I’ve hunted there as well and could have killed some nice bulls. I’ve seen more people in a week there during 3rd rifle season than I’ve seen in any general unit of MT.

Not saying there aren’t decent elk to be had in CO. Just a lot of people.

More elk on accessible land. I’ll kill cows the rest of my life.

I’ve hunted there as well and could have killed some nice bulls. I’ve seen more people in a week there during 3rd rifle season than I’ve seen in any general unit of MT.

Not saying there aren’t decent elk to be had in CO. Just a lot of people.
Correct but breaking up the seasons keeps animals and good ones on public. Montana season structure doesn’t allow that no matter how tight you lace up your boots.

It’s night and day from what I have seen and I’ve hunted Montana my whole life.

Back