Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

BULLET WEIGHT? 7mm

antelopedundee

For those of you shooting .280 or 7mm caliber what is you preferred weight range for a 10 twist barrel? I think maybe 25 years ago that 10 twist was standard issue for a .280 caliber barrel. I don't have any documentation for the barrel purchase AFAIK.

For those of you shooting .280 or 7mm caliber what is you preferred weight range for a 10 twist barrel? I think maybe 25 years ago that 10 twist was standard issue for a .280 caliber barrel. I don't have any documentation for the barrel purchase AFAIK.
Run your potential bullet's data through the Berger stability calculator.

160's might shoot...140's for sure and I wouldn't rule out 120's. The 120 ballistic tip is a pretty impressive bullet at 2800-3000 fps.

My 1 in 9 1/2 handles 150s pretty well, loves 175s.

I loaded for a buddy who had a 1 in 10 years ago. I had good results with the Speer 145 grain Hot-Cor

I shoot 139 interlocks and 120 hammer hunters in a 280 Remington. Both work excellent.

I was going to get my Sako in 7x64 Brenneke and planned to use 120gr TTSX and 131gr Hammers to suit the 10 twist. If I were to choose a lead bullet weight, then 140 and under

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I wish more bullet makers would put the preferred twist rate on the bullet box or on their website.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I wish more bullet makers would put the preferred twist rate on the bullet box or on their website.
Some do. Most loading manuals tell what the twist of the test rifle was too. As a rule of thumb the longer bullets like hammers need faster twist for the heavier bullets to stabilize.
There’s tons of options for .284 bullets out there. I’d start with the critter I want to shoot and work from there.
Are you shootin the 280 rem?

Some do. Most loading manuals tell what the twist of the test rifle was too. As a rule of thumb the longer bullets like hammers need faster twist for the heavier bullets to stabilize.
There’s tons of options for .284 bullets out there. I’d start with the critter I want to shoot and work from there.
Are you shootin the 280 rem?
The .280 Rem has sat in the cabinet unfired for longer than I care to think about.

I'm not totally sure what My twist is but it's a Shilen barrel 7WSM and I shoot 180 Bergers out of it great
It's not a 1:10, that's for sure!

My 7mm WBY with their 1:10 will stabilize a 175gr ABLR.
Problem is the short ejection port on the receiver.
I can't load them to lands and be able to eject a loaded round if needed.

@antelopedundee,

280, 284, 7mm are all 7mm bores.
280 Rem, 284Win, 7mm Rem Mag are cartridges.

I'm not totally sure what My twist is but it's a Shilen barrel 7WSM and I shoot 180 Bergers out of it great
My first 280 had 1/10 twist barrel. If you live sea level might have problem. As you move up elevation you gain more bullet stability. I never had problem. I live over 7K.

I have a Savage 7RemMag that seems to like 160 Partitions but as above the 140gr range may be better. I have some 168 Custom Competitions and I believe Nosler said that 1:10 was minimum twist. My rifle didn't like them.

I'd definitely focus on 140's but I'd be surprised if you couldnt get some 150's to group with a little trial and error.

No idea what the twist was in my 7mm. 7x57 shot 154gr Hornady RN and wouldn't shoot anything else. They worked very well. 7mm Rem Mag shot 160gr Speer Hot Core's great. Did everything I wanted. 280 was a Rem 760 and no idea where or why I got it in the first place. If I had a 280 today I'd be hoping the 160gr Hot Cores would work well. Bullerts under 154gr never excited me much. Tried some 140gr Sierra's, 1970's and found them very distructive on game. Shot a bear with one from the 7mm Mag and bullet blew up under the skin but it did make the bear very sick and another shot to the back of the head finished it. Never used them again.

That 7mm mag was a Sako L61. had long enough reciever and mag to let out the lands enough to deat thoise 160gr bullet's out where the base of the neck and top of the shoulder meet. Upped the max load of 69.0 grs of N-205 to 69.0 grs. No chono back then. It was awesome!

I have a 280 REM with a factory 1-10 twist barrel. Have taken a ton of game with it using 140 gr Nosler flat base bullets, switched it over to 140 gr Barnes bullets a couple years ago and have been very happy.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back