Bullet Selection, 338-06

Losing_Sanity

Found this article, Terminal Ballistics Research (Click Here), on the web about the 338-06 history and selecting bullets for the 338-06. I'm not sure how old the article is but I found it interesting. I know there are smarter people on this site than I am and the smarter folks probably already knew this stuff. But for the common guy like me, it was informative. It got me to thinking about bullet performance and the impact that speed has on a chosen bullet, as well as the effective range of the 338-06. I've always thought of heavier bullets for better penetration, but haven't really though of the expansion at slower speeds?

I have read several articles on the 338-06 as an Elk killing cartridge. I have also read many threads going back and forth about better cartridges or cartridges that perform the same. I get the impression that the 338-06 is one of those cartridges that either you love it, or you hate it with not much in between.

Whats your favorite 338-06 load?

I shot a lot of critters with a 185 TSX, loaded over RL-15.

I shoot 200gr accubonds in my AI with H4350. Have tested 225 accubonds, 210 partitions, and a few more. I settled on the 200s for both cost and accuracy for the most part.

If I hunted elk on a more regular basis, I would probably build a lightweight 338-06 on a Kimber or similar weight rifle. The one I have is about 8.5lbs and doesn't get hunted much. My main elk rifle is 280rem mountain rifle or a 7mag in a 700. I have taken them with a lot of cartriges including 2 with the 338-06.

There are a lot of more than adequate "elk" cartridges, its personnel preference, with most performance differences between your ears. I've seen over 100 elk (25 personally) elk killed with cartridges ranging from 22-250 to 340 Roy and dozen in between. Of all those elk, I'd say 75% where shot inside of 200 yards. The rest inside 400+/-. A light weight 338-06 (or 308, 7-08, 30-06, 280, 270, etc) would be about as good as it gets, IMO. Building a long range rifle is a waste of time IMO, for that off chance you need it. Fear of failure sells a lot of guns...

Last edited:
Last winter I was "in the same boat" as you are now when I rebored my 270 Win. to 338-06. For this season, I have settled on a 185 gr. Barnes TTSX over 53 gr. of IMR 4064. Bullet leaves the barrel at just shy of 2800 fps and will stay above the minimum velocity levels recommended by Barnes for expansion purposes out to 350 yards. I chose this round because it shoots sub MOA in my rifle and my self imposed limit is three hundred yards with the 2x7 scope I have on the rifle. Just got back from shooting steel out to 400 yards with this rifle today. Was able to ring the gong consistently at that range using a seated position and my backpack as a rest. This rifle will be with me next month on my elk hunt. I will report bullet performance "hopefully" when I get back from the hunt.

Last winter I was "in the same boat" as you are now when I rebored my 270 Win. to 338-06. For this season, I have settled on a 185 gr. Barnes TTSX over 53 gr. of IMR 4064. Bullet leaves the barrel at just shy of 2800 fps and will stay above the minimum velocity levels recommended by Barnes for expansion purposes out to 350 yards. I chose this round because it shoots sub MOA in my rifle and my self imposed limit is three hundred yards with the 2x7 scope I have on the rifle. Just got back from shooting steel out to 400 yards with this rifle today. Was able to ring the gong consistently at that range using a seated position and my backpack as a rest. This rifle will be with me next month on my elk hunt. I will report bullet performance "hopefully" when I get back from the hunt.
Looking forward to your report. Good luck!

Please, tell us more about this load. I've read some on using RL-15 and RL-17. Also I have looked at trying IMR- 4451.

I never chronographed it, based on drops I'd put the velocity around 2850ish. This was out of a 22" Douglas barrel. Shot about 0.75 MOA.

The heavier bullets don't necessarily relate to better penetration.
Hunters have gravitated towards heavier bullets, partly due to long range benchrest shooters.
They don't care what expansion looks like.
But that 250gr 338 bullet doesn't get pushed side to side as much as a 150gr 30 cal bullet. (Windage).
As for elevation, or trajectory, they think nothing of cramming the heaviest bullet they can find, and shooting it at 2,000 fps.
Low windage trumps trajectory.

For hunting, velocity ( to a point) is your friend.

While Nathan is very knowledgeable, and a heck of a guy, he is not the absolute word. We have had several instances of disagreement over the years.
But he still talks to me. :D:

I love my 338-06, it just kills things, and I've never been in a situation where I regretted carrying it. The most accurate combination I've found is 185 gr TTSX bullet and Varget powder. I tried heavier lead bullets but they were not as accurate in my rifle.

Perfect timing for this post! Still breaking in my barrel on a Savage rebarrel project and posts like these give me hope there are lots of good bullet/powder combos to try!

The more I read about the .338-06 the more I want one. But I also have a hankering for a .338 Federal, so I guess that's a natural progression.

I love my 338-06, it just kills things, and I've never been in a situation where I regretted carrying it. The most accurate combination I've found is 185 gr TTSX bullet and Varget powder. I tried heavier lead bullets but they were not as accurate in my rifle.
I ended up finding a very adequate combination with this bullet and Varget. Used it to good effect on two does this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back