MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Bullet performance

sbhooper

I have been using139-grain Hornady Interlock bullets for many years in my 7 mag. This weekend I shot a 5+ year-old mulie buck straight through both shoulder blades at about 120 yards. I did a follow-up shot which was not necessary.

I was able to recover both bullets from the hide on the other side. The first bullet that was shot through both shoulder blades at 120 or so yards weighed 86 grains. The second shot was shot at point blank range and it weighed 56 grains. Both cores were in great shape and folded back to the interlock ring.

These bullets were loaded at 3100 fps. This bullet has never failed me in many years of hunting deer. I have switched to 160 Partitions and will use them exclusively when my 139s are gone, but I think this is stellar performance from a bullet that is not really even considered to be a premium. I have experienced this in years past, also, but this was interesting because the buck was thick enough to stop both bullets.

The buck weighed 180 pounds dressed. It was the heaviest that I have ever shot.

I'd say that's pretty good performance. A 7 Mag will sort through bad bullets pretty quick.

I cant believe they didnt exit at such close range.

Often times bullets are less likely to exit on the close shots.

The higher velocities of closer shots usually cause two things that limit penetration: 1) the bullet sheds more weight; and 2) the frontal diamer the bullet expands to is larger.

I was also amazed that the bullets did not exit. The main thing that impressed me, though, was how well they stayed together at the high velocity.

I am switching because the 160 Partitions give up nothing in performance and will handle anything. I don't have to switch loads to go elk hunting or whatever. I bought 500 seconds from Nosler and they shoot sub-minute in both of my rifles-just like the Hornadys. I load the Noslers to 3000 fps.

Sage, I am using Interlocks, not Interbonds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jordanhronek
Back