PEAX Equipment

Bullet/cartridge choice

Which Cartridge would you select for an Elk Hunt?

• 180 gr. Nosler Partition requiring a new sight in before I leave

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • 165 gr. Copper Alloy Hornady I can hunt the California season with leading up to the Elk season, and

Votes: 15 83.3%

• Total voters

2rocky

Looking at my bullet choice given the ammo in my safe. 180 gr Partitions vs. 165gr. Copper alloy GMX from Hornady

I'm shooting a .300 Win Mag with 3.5-10 VX-3 with CDS

I've killed 7 bulls with the Partitions and a 2-7 scope from 50-340 yards.
I've only sighted in the Hornady ammo but it is legal for me to hunt with in the local season that will come just before I leave for my elk hunt. have not killed anything with it yet.

I don't use Copper alloy GMX from Hornady, but I do use Barnes bullets in most of my hunting loads. Wit being copper it makes the bullet longer and acts like a heaver( longer) bullet of lead makeup.
BUT you can push it faster! Go with the copper.

I'd keep the Partitions & get a new rifle (maybe 300 PRC) to hunt mono's in Commiefornia...

I run 166gr Hammers (all copper) in my 300WM for elk. My buddy runs 168gr Nosler E-tips in his 300wsm for elk. Recommend to him by the head bullet guy at Nosler. Can’t remember his name but the guy in Randy’s old reloading videos. Obviously I vote coppers.

I don’t see a problem with either one. If I was just going elk hunting, I’d probably go with the Partition, BUT I really like sighting a rifle in with a particular load and then leaving it alone for as long as possible. If you’re going to shop the copper in CA, I would not hesitate to simply use that bullet for everything else from then on.

I can't vote against the Partitions best bullets out there IMO. But both should work fine and I understand why you wouldn't wanna switch in mid season. Never used the GMX but killed a few animals with the Barnes ttsx and was happy with it's performance.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back