Bull stopped bleeding?

My best guess (or rationalization) is that it stumbled over deadfall when I heard the post-shot crash and dirt clogged the wound, stopping the blood enough to blank the trail and allow him to create some distance.
QUOTE]

From my experiences, I would say that dirt typically doesn't clog a wound like that. However, the hide does tend to shift (especially while/after being bedded down or while on the run). I have also watched elk break arrows off by running through brush and trees and have also watched elk consciously rub against trees to break an arrow off.

By the color of the blood and the drip marks, my best guess would be that you hit this bull in "no man's land"... basically back from the vitals and above the guts... pretty much nothing there except flesh and some bone (with that being said, if you were to shot an elk there with your rifle- it probably wouldn't take a single step)... or maybe even in the front shoulder but by the spread of the blood in it's bed... I would guess "no man's land"...

Some elk live through this wound... others die rather quickly and others drag on until they eventually die.... all you can do is hope that the bull can pull through!!

Don't give up on archery... it's a risk/reward that all ethical bow hunters take while out in the field.... wounding an animal and even killing an animal and not being able to find it.... I know the feeling (as do most bow hunters), it's a terrible gut ache!!

Last edited:
Wow, that sucks! I'd say he's dead! Almost looks like he "coughed" up that blood. I shot a bull once and he stood out of range coughing up blood until he took a few more steps and tipped over. Either way, looks like lung to me.

I am not the worlds expert on trailing game, but I have hit and lost several deer with a bow and one with a muzzleloader. As you know, it is a miserable experience. I tend to be persistent rather than good. In each of those cases I considered hanging up the bow.

A deer has to lose close to a quart of blood to die from loss of blood, so an elk probably needs to lose close to a gallon. My guess is that the amount shown represents maybe a cup, max. You might try getting a pint of red paint and seeing how much of a mess you can make by pouring it on the ground. The blood in the pictures looks dark red to me (even allowing for the hour from the shot) and my guess would be a muscle hit. No bubbles, no green stuff.

I hit one in the shoulder blade, and the arrow stuck in the shoulder. The deer ran for about a hundred yards with the arrow waving, bleeding like mad, then the arrow fell out and the bleeding stopped.

My money would be on a muscle hit.

Bleeding cleans out the wound, and in both your case and mine, I think the animal recovered. Stick with hunting. None of us is perfect, and the sport needs more people with your conscience.

Thanks for posting and for your honesty.

A deer has to lose close to a quart of blood to die from loss of blood, so an elk probably needs to lose close to a gallon. My guess is that the amount shown represents maybe a cup, max.

I'm in this to learn, not argue, but I can guarantee the amount of blood was WAY more than a cup full. There were 4 areas (1 pictured) where the splash was nearly the size of my bow and pretty deep in spots, along with a steady stream for 150 yards. I really hope that it was just a muscle or brisket hit and that the bull did recover.

The bull I later killed and tagged lost much less blood on a double lung/heart pass thru - of course he only went 30 yards downhill before keeling over.

I'm in this to learn, not argue, but I can guarantee the amount of blood was WAY more than a cup full. There were 4 areas (1 pictured) where the splash was nearly the size of my bow and pretty deep in spots, along with a steady stream for 150 yards. I really hope that it was just a muscle or brisket hit and that the bull did recover.

The bull I later killed and tagged lost much less blood on a double lung/heart pass thru - of course he only went 30 yards downhill before keeling over.

Let's see some pics of the one that isn't haunting your dreams!! :)

I've seen this episode several times over the years! The bull is hit in the diaphragm/liver area, he is dead! That bull can travel a mile & a half no problem if he chooses too! They generally do not bed several times & move but die on their feet, yes they can bed but generally they stay right there & expire when they finally can go no further.

It's very common to have tons of that dark rich blood for 75yd to 100yds then zip, a bit of bubbles is from the diaphragm not the lungs, the air in the diaphragm entertains oxygen & gives that bubble look in the blood puddles. That type of hit appears that the bull is dead very close by but actually he rarely is, when the blood ceases to drop you'd think the bull was hijacked by a helicopter! The blood loss can stop that fast!!

ElkNut1

Back