Caribou Gear Tarp

Bull Busted In Bitterroot Burns

Horn Seeker

Well, He aint a world beater, but I'm happy. I went by myself, killed him, cut him up and packed him out all by myself. Yep, I'm proud. BUT, now that I've done that shit I'll be sure to call some friends next time!!

I personally cant believe that there is a more grueling physical task in the world than packing about 100 pounds through snow covered deadfall. Luckily, I didn't have to do that very far as there was a gated road below me, then it was a nice little 2 mile jaunt uphill on the road to the truck.

Whacked him at first light on Saturday, little cartridge that some like to make fun of, but I call it "The Hammer of GOD", at least thats how its performed for me. Yeah Baby, the old 06'. Got my last load to the truck about 4 PM. Still plenty sore today.

He was standing about 100 yards uphill from me, took off running with 3 other bulls, all about the same size. I picked a window in the trees and waited for him to come through. He never wiggled after the shot, hit him high in the neck and severed the spine. SWEET! (I know, a 22 would have dropped him with that shot!)

I'll see if this pic works. If not I'll figure it out later.
fd0f1995.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-10-2002 20:03: Message edited by: Horn Seeker ]</font>

Congrats on the bull, Horn Seeker! I tried posting the pic, but it's on a password protected web page.

Oak

Sweet, found a site that worked. Heres another pick of him. I also am posting a pic of my first antelope and a hunt I'll never forget. The guy with me is a dang good friend that is dying of cancer. He's fought it hard for a few years now and the outlook is real bad now.

Anyhow, hell, he's killed more elk than I probably ever will, He's lived Good!
fd0f1994.jpg

fd0f1992.jpg

nice bull HS. Glad you got em out yourself without too much trouble. Sorry to hear about your hunting pal. Cancer sucks, been there, done that, beat it so far.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>then it was a nice little 2 mile jaunt uphill on the road to the truck <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummm...I'm not the smartest person on this rock, but why didn't you drive the truck downhill on the road to your meat? Hehe, only clowning...I assume the road wasn't in a driveable state.

Congrats on your dandy animal.

Enjoy your friend's comradery. I lost my mom to cancer (a mere 44 years old) while I was out on a sheep hunt two years ago. You can't make em come back, Lord knows I've tried. You'll always have those special memories though, I do.

Thanks All!
Yeah, gated road.

Dirty Rotten Prick Bastard, I spent 1/2 hour taking pictures from three different angles and forgot to get the dam ninja suit out of my pack! (actually, I was just going to wear the Ninja face mask, and nothing else!!!! But....I didn't want the antlers of my bull to look REALLY small!" :D :D :eek:

Congrats HS,

Great pics. After packing mine out, I'm amazed at some of these guys that pack them out 5-10 miles on foot. 'CHIT' gets heavy fast!

Sorry to hear about your buddy. I wish him well.

Way to go Horn Seeker, it is good to see that there are still some guys not afraid to haul one out on their back. Those are also some nice pictures, keep 'em coming.

Thanks Again ALL.

Yep, I've got 6 deer tags to burn up and I NEED the Bowkill experience bad, to get prepped for next elk season. Tell ya one thing, I have a fairly unstable back, and its still purty dam stiff today. But it feels GOOD.

Me and a buddy trimmed, cut and wrapped him yesterday. Accidentally cut a Tenderloin up into stew meat! DOOOOOOOOPE! Oh well, I like Backstrap better anyway. I got 53 packs of steak, they are big packs, nearly two pounds average. I have two 6 gallon bucks and 1/3 full cooler of burger meat that needs to be ground. Gonna have some serious burger! Yeah.

ANyhow, cant remember if I mentioned it above, but I weighed everything I brought out and it was 276. Only two bone in quarters, one front, one back and the rack and cape. I save the cape to sell to the taxi.

Anyhow, heres another pic. All four quarters stacked on some logs with the head and cape.
fd0d8117.jpg

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-12-2002 09:28: Message edited by: Horn Seeker ]</font>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back