Building a shop/barn in phases

Cammy

Would love to have a shop/barn to store toys (travel trailer, boat etc) but cannot swallow the entire cost in one go. Last estimate I got a couple years ago was north of $100 grand for a 40x60 red iron building. The estimate was bare ground to turn key if that makes a difference. The building is the cheap part of the entire build and the concrete is going to be a killer. Already know I can get permits for the building so my thoughts are this:
Buy the building and get it on site.
Save the cash for a year or so get the permit and do the flat work.
Run the permit out and apply for extensions or assemble as much myself before getting a contractor to do the sheet metal.

I could tap savings and be my own banker but hate to deplete cash. Could get a construction loan and run it for a couple years of payments and then pay it off. Any thoughts on this?

You could do a post frame/pole barn - bet that size would be sub-50k. Get your subgrade prepared and have the building built, it’s available for storage, and when you have funds you can use the skirt board as the form to pour the slab.

You could do a post frame/pole barn - bet that size would be sub-50k. Get your subgrade prepared and have the building built, it’s available for storage, and when you have funds you can use the skirt board as the form to pour the slab.
Also, around here (NE Iowa)you can sometimes find existing buildings cheap if you’re willing to take them down. Basically farmers wanting or needing larger buildings for their equipment.

Ditto. I'm not ready yet, but gathering info too and as just quoted about $32k for a 30x60 pole barn with roof and three sides. Does not include a concrete floor. I had asked if I could save money by not doing the sides, but he said the same thing a steel building company said, that there is not enough strength for wind shear without the sides, so you'd have to beef up the support posts so much it would not save money.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the input. Never considered doing the pier and foundation route to minimize cost up front.

@Cammy if you go post frame, I highly suggest watching these 2 youtube channels.

A WEALTH of knowledge about Post Frame. Wish I'd have watched before I built my 40x60 horse barn. FYI my barn was roughly 70K rough finish, with water and Elec included and that was 2 years ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back