Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Building a charcoal grill

Dave2643

Anyone build a charcoal grill? I have a gas grill but charcoal is so much better for steaks. Everything I look at is cheaply made and spendy. I weld and feel like I could build something if I had a plan.

I didn't build it, but my uncle had one made a few years ago. Key points to consider are ash removal (legdes can impede shovel access), air flow locations and adjustability (above grates and below your fire), and portability if needed.

A stainless spring around the handle would've prevented a few burnt hands, but everybody figured it out eventually.

20220730_140356.jpg

Too bad the new Webers aren't built like the old ones, they pretty much nailed it all but the materials and craftsmanship suck in comparison to what they used to make. I highly doubt I'll get 40 years out of this one...

20221118_175910.jpg

I agree that steaks taste much better when cooked over charcoal. For years I had an old Weber charcoal grill next to my gas grill. I used charcoal whenever I had time to wait 30 minutes or so for the coals to be ready. It eventually fell apart but it lasted over 25 years.
The gas grill is very convenient though.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back