Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Bugs

VikingsGuy

Hunting 'lope unit 9 first (Lusk area) week of October. Assuming there have not been a few hard frosts, should we expect ticks and/or mosquitoes - both are a major pain in the rear here in MN, but I haven't been to WY during this time of year. I ask, because if ticks are an issue in this area I will spray gear with premetherin as we do here.

I don't have extensive knowledge of the tick situation. I hunted same area last year at the same time and didn't have any issue with either. I am sure someone local will chime in soon, but my guess is it won't be as big of a concern as where you are in MN.

Don't know about ticks, but the only skeeters that I ever encountered in WY were in YNP. They were never a problem around Douglas, WY, in October.

Neither when I was there. Headed out Sept. 1 - probably more likely to find a rattler than a tick I bet. chat when I get back.

Neither when I was there. Headed out Sept. 1 - probably more likely to find a rattler than a tick I bet. chat when I get back.

Have not seen a snake since 1987, but yesterday I picked up a pair of Duluth Firehose work pants just to be safe. I've had some cactus spines penetrate a boot sole so we'll see how they fare on those.

I've never seen a tick or mosquito out on the east side during hunting season.

I have now lived and hunted for 44 years in Wyoming and this is what has happed to me. Biting fly's are by fare the biggest pain here in Wyoming I know of in late September and October. Even after a heavy frost the can be bad. It only takes a few to make it unfunny. Also some times tiny gnats. I have seen the gnats in the mountains after the sun came out and hiking in the snow.

Watching the hunting shows done in Alaska you can see the air is full of flying little things like moths. Must be a real PITA early in the season.

Don't know about ticks, but the only skeeters that I ever encountered in WY were in YNP. They were never a problem around Douglas, WY, in October.

Haven't had a problem with them during the last week of September either. Did see a rattler last time though.

was in unit 9 last oct had no issues with any bugs ...and being a florida guy also I will attest that yellow flies suck be thankful yall don't have them

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back