Bugling in October?

kbhillhunter

Curious if anyone does much bugling in October, specifically 1st rifle in Colorado so mostly that third week in October.

I took my biggest bull on a first rifle hunt in Colorado, and they bugled til past noon that day. That isn't normal, though, and I wouldn't personally plan on using bugling as a tactic at that time of year.

I have heard them bugling in Nov during one of the later rifle seasons. I also would not count on it. In fact, there have probably been just as many years that I have hunted during the rut (mid-Sept) that I have not heard a bugle as years that I have heard a bugle during the rut. So, if you hear one, use it to your advantage to locate him, but don't expect to hear them.

Hear them about 25% of the time in Southern Colorado, right up till opening day of first rifle. Then not a peep, even on years where they were sounding off pretty well.

I've heard them in Mid October as well over the last couple years. When we do we've strictly used it as an option to locate them.

I've heard them bugle in CO on public during first rifle but it was only a few times. And I've heard them bugle on private land during during second rifle as they were a hundred or more of them together on an open hill side.

What part of October? I’ve successfully called in bulls and located many more the first week, effectiveness dives off pretty steeply after then.

I bugled in a satellite bull for my wife 1st rifle in CO a few years ago. Him and the herd bull (which was in thick trees) started bugling a bit, so it was getting late in the day and I figured they'd either split or come check me out. After I let out a kind of wimpy bugle those two went nuts and the smaller one showed up in less than a minute. This was opening day. I'll pack my bugle if I hunt that season again, but generally don't plan on using it during the rifle season.

I've been hunting the Flattops area in past years and had bulls in full-on rut in mid-October. It's great for locating elk, but would not count on calling them in.

What everyone said. First week-exactly what Chester said. Still some bugling in mid October and even an occasional bugle in late October or early November but don't plan on calling them in.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back