Bugle Report

Hunted the opening 5 days in NW CO and there was very little bugling. We heard a little each day but the bulls definitely were not fired up. It was a tough hunt between the heat and the full moon. I'm not sure what had a bigger impact the heat or moon phase? It was 94* on Saturday and 90* on Sunday. Saw several herds of cows without a bull and the herds that did have a bull with them it was not a mature bull. I wish I could be there now after the cooler weather has arrived. We actually saw the best movement on the last two days which were the hottest of the five. Fingers crossed for cooler weather next year on our hunt.

No bugles ,but it has cooled off alot around me. 60 today with highs in 70's next week. Cool nights and some rains too.
Saw the huge 5x5 that has been with a small herd of cows the last two weeks,down the draw from me.

Spouse found a nice bull glued to a cow, he would bugle and answer but not come in from the cow. They're heating up a bit right now, cows are not coming in estrus yet though in our area.

I have gotten two responses in the past two days. One came into 40, but hung up behind some trees. Mine came between 9000-9500ft. Im seeing sign and rubs, but they just arnt vocal. No response to cow calls. Any other ideas?

tons of bugling in NM, but after about 9am it’s mostly over until about 7:30 pm.

A buddy and I spent two days hunting and called in 4 bulls, including one very nice six point. They were talking, but not a lot.

Heard a sqweeker this morn. Sign everywhere. Late rut......smokey/hazey.

Bro just got back from CO OTC & was in elk everyday,passed on cow second morn as they were in them. No cigar,but helping a guy pack one out got him a quarter....not much bugling but bulls herded up with cows,silent

I got schooled yesterday. Been driving up top in the Blues to try to get out of the smoke and run the dogs, look for grouse. Don’t start until about 1000 hrs so we don’t bust some guys elk hunt. Heard a bull bugle nearby, crashing brush, bugle and move. Thought that guy is the worst caller I ever heard. Heeled the dogs, didn’t want to startle the guy as he came to the ridge top. Wish I had been ready to shoot a pic, dang good looking bull!

They are screaming in the early morning now, but shutting down at 1st light.
Had 6 or 7 in valley going off around here Sat. morn. Lil Jack & mom out trying for his 1st bow elk. Dad spotting from hill a mile south. Cool. Hope with school & family work schedule he gets more chances. He is stoked...

Been pretty slow in our portion of SW Montana we’ve heard 2 bulls bugle in 4 days. Only seen 1 elk. High is supposed to be 75 today. I am sure that will help . . .

I didn’t hear a bugle until Saturday evening... the night I connected but all other elk I saw were silent and I stumbled across them.... near Gunnison, CO

The bullfights are on in the Gila! I think a lot of tags were filled this past weekend since yesterday I saw quite a few trucks with racks and meat coming out.

Back