Bugle Report

Baerman

Anyone having any luck getting into elk that want to talk? I went out for the opener. Was in the middle of six rag horns and I was only able to get one light squeal. Heading to Wyoming for an elk hunt tomorrow hoping they are starting to chime off in the high country.

Heard a little bit of bugling on tue, wed, and today. Got a few responses but the bulls weren't too excitable.

Nada in SW NM. Hot.
Went in scouting yesterday morning. The roads are all dry as well as some of the tanks. Didn't hear or see any elk. A few pronghorn around. Didn't see any cabins open nor were they getting ready to open, but I only went by a few camps. The RV parks were filling up though. One outfitter had wall tents up and about 6 clients that were going out for an evening hunt. Not very many hunters out. I'm sure they will show up this weekend. I was comfortable in shorts and a t-shirt as it was in the mid-80s at 7,500 ft. It might cool off with a few rain showers mid-week, but other than that more of the same.

Yeah, I'm usually hearing bugles here by now. Some.
Elk are full nocturnal with that moon & the heat. Have not seen one here in daylight in a month it seems,but they are hammering my tanks at night.
Glad I've been too busy to get a OTC lope tag. My daily entourage dissappeared from the 11am drink program.
Cold front after Labor Day should help.....help me work more than a few hours in the sun too. Lost 10 pinions to IPS in one week too.................

hank4elk, what is IPS? Does it have something to do with Bark beetles? 💥

hank4elk, what is IPS? Does it have something to do with Bark beetles? 💥
It is a variety of bark boring beetle than hits Pinion trees particularly,but not exclusive to pinion. Sometimes called Engraver or Gallery Beetles due to the patterns of the boring. Looks like mini bark beetles. Males bore large tunnels & females bore the galleries to lay eggs. Looks like someone routed little flags & weird patterns in wood when the bark falls off. They hit a single or small cluster of trees at one time, then move on. Trees right next to dead ones fine. Trees that were fairly healthy get hit too.
They have been hitting NM & Catron county hard last few years. Only a few a couple years ago & now thousands of trees between me & AZ.
Common Bark beetles have taken many too. Most of the Ponderosa's have been hit by them anywhere near me.

Thanks for that, Bark Beetles have devastated the Pines near our cabin and beyond.
Along the Mogollon rim and down into the Pine, Strawberry, and Payson areas. 💥

Yeah, I'm usually hearing bugles here by now. Some.
Elk are full nocturnal with that moon & the heat. Have not seen one here in daylight in a month it seems,but they are hammering my tanks at night.
Glad I've been too busy to get a OTC lope tag. My daily entourage dissappeared from the 11am drink program.
Cold front after Labor Day should help.....help me work more than a few hours in the sun too. Lost 10 pinions to IPS in one week too.................
Had elk in the road yesterday morning at zero dark thirty. Waning gibbous and not a cloud in the sky. I glassed alot of territory during the first hour and didn't see anything except a big boar. Horses were going in and everyone seems to be rather happy to be out here. Buzz tails are out. I wear snake boots this time of year and walked by one. It was 73 degrees when I woke up!

Had a nice conversation with a couple loud mouth spikes showing off for their girlfriends in souther WY. There may have been some bigger boys around but they weren’t as talkative. Going back out after this cold front pushed through, hopefully that brings them in to the cows.

No bugles where I was in SW Montana. I did watch a bull chasing cows around and tearing up a tree on the 1st, but no real action since.

Did a fishing trip over the weekend in southern Colorado on a tributary to the Conejos River. Heard 2 or 3 different bulls bugle, but well after dark.

They are starting to talk here in Pa mostly very early in morning n late evening after dark still hot here in upper 80s

Northern Michigan elk are getting fired up. Bulls are screaming consistently.

Rocky Mountain National Park bulls were bugling pretty good last week. I could listen to them for hours and be content!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nurek
Back