Yeti GOBOX Collection

Budget-ish stove???

TM0218

Like the title says I’m looking for a budget-ish stove. It’s mainly going to be used for making coffee and occasionally a dehydrated style meal. Was thinking something like the JetBoil Mighty Mo, any other suggestions for something around that price range? Thanks!

If you're just boiling water, a jetboil is a good way to go. I have the Flash and it has been great. I have also had a pocket rocket for 15 years and it has never let me down.

I make my own out of 2 pop cans and small piece of aluminum. They weigh less than the denatured alcohol or HEET required to run them. I've used them for backpacking and hunting for a long time. Cost is basically nothing

This is the basic concept. We experimented with them and got better boiling times with a center rod. The sheet of aluminum is for building a triangular stand to place over the stove to set your pan on. Just slot three pieces so you can snap them together and you're set. They work great

I have a Jetboil, MSR Whisperlite International, and a Snow Peak LiteMax. Have also done the pop can stove, which was kinda fun to make.

If I’m going deeper and weight is a concern, I bring the Snow Peak (1.9 oz, $59) and a Snow Peak 600ml titanium mug (2.8 oz, $35).

For almost everything else, I’ll take/use the Jetboil. I really only use the Whisperlite overseas or on paddling trips due to the weight, but it’s great if you’re in some dump of the world and finding white gas is a problem, as you can burn pretty much any type of fuel in it (kerosene, etc)

I've made dozens of can stoves over the years as well. They are fun and have their place. Main cons are lack of regulation and poor cold weather performance. I had a whisperlite International, but it sooted more that the original whisperlite. If you always have access to white gas and like to be able to turn down to low, I think the original is the way to go IMHO.

Awesome thanks for the suggestions! I made a soda can stove the other day just out of boredom, but I think I may prefer an actual stove for the real world, thanks again!

Anything with a canister is pretty convenient...for cheap the pocket rocket is decent, also the MSR warranty has been good to me when needed. Had SnowPeak and Soto as well, a few jet boils. They’re all fine for your purposes.

Pocket Rocket. Strange sweet spot of cost, weight, space, and longevity.

This one is very budget friendly and works really well. Going on six years with mine.

Been using ours for 5 or 6 years as well. Worked at 14k feet when a buddy's netbook wouldnt.
Pair with a titanium Toaks cup and a long handled spoon and you are in business.

I've made dozens of can stoves over the years as well. They are fun and have their place. Main cons are lack of regulation and poor cold weather performance. I had a whisperlite International, but it sooted more that the original whisperlite. If you always have access to white gas and like to be able to turn down to low, I think the original is the way to go IMHO.
Seems like out West anymore the fire
bans are around for 8 months a year.
And any stove without a shut off valve is prohibited.

Seems like out West anymore the fire
bans are around for 8 months a year.
And any stove without a shut off valve is prohibited.
Oh I didn’t even think about that, that’s good to know thanks

Really any stove that uses liquid fuel will be out if there is a fire ban. I can't remember at what level that kicks in but I've been bit by that before for my Coleman white gas stove. Seems like a cannister stove is all you can use in those situations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back