Bucks of the past,,,,

Looks like it wasn't varnished which was rare for that time. Good! I just finished stripping the yellowed varnish off my brother's big buck shot in 1969. Now I'll have to repaint it which isn't a big deal. I found this bleached dead head while duck hunting outside Columbia Falls the fall of 1965. The buck probably died early in the winter of '64 after the Flathead River flood disaster. Earlier in the season some kid with a .410 shot the skull literally to pieces. Four points were rotted or chewed off. My daughter and I restored it.20210512_141340.jpgpicnic grounds monster1.jpg20210423_210856.jpg

I took some really nice bucks as a teenager in southern Utah. A couple close to that one. It never occurred to me to keep them. I'm sick about it now.

Did you save a cape from another kill? That is the best way. We are having a difficult time with a similar muley project for a client. Buying a cape from another taxidermist or tannery shot and skinned by someone else is always a crap shoot. Just got the second cape for it and I'm not confident it will work. The first tanned cape we bought slipped hair. The tanned cape from my first kudu arrived with a chunk of hair missing from shoulder but photos show it was fine on the ground. Keeping my fingers crossed the cape from second kudu will be okay.

I bought a rifle from a guy and these horns were in the living room leaning against the coffee table. In the other room was a shoulder mount of a bigger deer.

At least it wasn’t nailed to the front of the garage…

View attachment 214386
When I was a kid, the guy down the street had a rack, that looked very much like that one, hanging in his car port. When I asked about it he told me it was there when he bought the house. I always lusted after those antlers. Those and his daughter who was a year younger than me.

Did you save a cape from another kill? That is the best way. We are having a difficult time with a similar muley project for a client. Buying a cape from another taxidermist or tannery shot and skinned by someone else is always a crap shoot. Just got the second cape for it and I'm not confident it will work. The first tanned cape we bought slipped hair. The tanned cape from my first kudu arrived with a chunk of hair missing from shoulder but photos show it was fine on the ground. Keeping my fingers crossed the cape from second kudu will be okay.
The cape we ordered was too small. The guy took his deposit back and I didn't complain. Wasted enough money on this job. A fella who had us do an antelope euro a while back has a respectable muley rack and accepted our offer to do a shoulder mount for him pretty much at cost for the materials we have already spent on this debacle. Can cut down this pedestal form and make it look right for that rack.

I bought a rifle from a guy and these horns were in the living room leaning against the coffee table. In the other room was a shoulder mount of a bigger deer.

At least it wasn’t nailed to the front of the garage…

View attachment 214386
I have seen this picture pop up in other places and always assumed the rack was fake/fabricated. I am happy about being wrong. What a giant!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back