Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Brushy Hill, Who's Going?

danr55

Pete Denney asked that I get back to him about the middle of February with a count of how many folks we will have up there for Turkey and Hogs. That let's him know if he has enough of us to keep the ranch closed to other folks or if he should start taking other reservations. So..............

How many intend to hunt Brushy Hill?

:cool:

I'm 1, unless I need to haul people back to the airport or take them to get a rental car or haul rams to the meat processor or something like that, but even then, I'd be at Brushy Hill sometime monday.

He's getting the checks, I guess there's more room since he is asking. I don't think we'll have that many. More could come than on the ram hunt part, they are independent hunts. Maybe you should announce it at Fireside or something.

What did he say about cold storage, anything?

Although Pete has never sent me any type of confirmation whatsoever, I sent him my $75 deposit about a month ago. I think I'm in, but like I said he has never sent me any confirmation whatsoever. I have to assume that he's expecting me I guess.

I guess I should rephrase that question.

How many intend to go who haven't sent in $$ to Pete Denney yet??

By the way, as a matter of interest. There was some concern about the number of hunters that will be there the first part of February. From what I was told by my friend who hunted there over Christmas, there must be somewhere between 400 and 500 hogs running around on that property. I don't think there will be much chance of them all being taken a month before we get there. There are also a few exotics that have escaped form adjoining properties. Those are also fair game.... Including the Red Stag from next door..... They are all included in the price of admission....

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-02-2002 12:28: Message edited by: danr55 ]</font>

I have also sent him my MNoney...... Just ta let you know

And if there is a Stag on his Property.... I'll be on that about 3AM that morning While looking for PIGS

Excuse me, didn't you say your friend did NOT actually see a hog, nor did anyone in his group, they just saw the roto tilling that the hogs did. Now, he says there are 400-500 hogs there, huh? I appreciate the optimism, but don't think anybody has counted that many, have they?

Maybe we can surround that red stag and split it up somehow, it may be dead by the time we get there or back home where it is safer maybe.

Tom, You are exactly correct. What Gary did describe was the amount of ground that he saw that had been covered and the number of places that he saw fresh sign. The numbers that you see there are based on an estimate of 20 hogs per group and 25 to 30 fresh digs every morning over a considerable area. Figuring that some groups may wander each night and may dig up two or more areas. Besides, I'm known for my untoward optimism.

Heck, I'll get a little optimistic here, I heard there were like 5 million hogs in south Texas once. If you figure he's one county out of 40, then his county has like 125,000 hogs. He's got to have a few hundred, no problem. If we all pitch in $10-$20 bucks we can buy a freezer or two, debone the meat and we'll be ok. I better get some more arrows before April though.

Did your friend say if the corned roads had any corn left in the mornings or if the hogs ate it during the night? The roto rooting of the ground sounds real good. People say they'll come back to the same area for a few weeks doing that before they move on. We need to find the fresh roto rooting areas and set up there.

Pete's documentation that he gave me had $15/day for a non-hunter, do we have this fee?

I asked specifically about non hunters. He said that with all the folks we were bringing, he didn't have a problem is some non-hunters just came along. He indicated that there would be no fee for these folks.

As for the corn in the morning, in our first conversation about this ranch, he said the roads that were corned in the afternoon looked like they had been swept clean in the morning.

If I recall, Gary also said there was about 40 miles of road that they corn each night? I've never been there and you have. Does the ranch seem large enough for 40 miles of road?? If I recall correctly, Brushy Hill is about 10,000 acres. (?)

Yes, I heard 10,000 acres. That's like 15+ square miles and its different ranches in the area not all hooked together I think. It would only take 2-3 miles of road per square mile to come up with 40 miles of road. I heard 16 miles of road per day was corned as I recall, which is still a lot of corn. I imagine some of looks like it is swept up, but would be surprised if all of it looked like that. When I drove onto the ranch to look at an area near the office, there was a truck parked right at the hunter camp, so I figured they were out hunting and didn't drive out into the ranch.

We'll have to note where there is corn on sunday afternoon and where there is not corn on monday morning.

Putting more corn at those places and hunting there monday night would be a pretty sure bet to have hogs or something come in during the night. I used to hunt that way for hogs.

Put corn out one day where there was fresh looking sign, then hunt the place where it dissappeared the next night. If I could stay up, if the wind was in my favor, if the clouds didn't cover the moonlight, I would see hogs. If they didn't smell me or see or hear me move, I'd get one.

Some decisions would be, corning loan tracks of loner big boars or corning tracks of packs of smaller sows and youngsters.

I cornered Gary today and asked about turkeys. He said that he and his son saw between 300 and 400 birds a day. He and his son each took a bird.

Anyone ever hear of a "bearded hen"? I thought only gobblers had beards......

I don't know about Rio Grandes, but in my area of New Mexico it's not uncommon to see hens with beards. Of course these are Merriams and I haven't actually noticed this in turkeys elsewhere. Two years ago, I saw a group of nine hens and four had short beards. I didn't take one because I'm only interested in a longbeard, but bearded hens are not uncommon at all here. I know a lot of hunters here that have never seen one, but I doubt they actually payed that much attention to the hens to even notice it. My oldest son's first turkey was a bearded hen.

Spring season on turkeys will be GOBBLERS ONLY, up to 4 of them legally permitted with landowner permission. The fall here has some counties gobblers and bearded hens and some counties either sex. I haven't paid to much attention to bearded hens but have heard of them being around here too.

Okay. you guys.. I'm the new Kid on the block and i am the Jim that shakey is talking about.Now i am not taking a 7-08 as i do not have one
but i will be taking my new 25-06 and my 7x57. Yes, the glock 45 will also be with me
So, I think the orange is a grat suggestion and thanks for that consideration. I am looking forward to meeting all of you and having a great time and of course a good hunt. Lets all think safety and I will be there with my 4x4 truck and it has a 12,000 winch and i am offering it for use if any of ya'll might need it

NUT.. thanks for the welcome.. Now as far as shakey, welp..you guys are in for a treat.. he is really a likeable guy but HOLD onto your food plate cause this guy can eat ya out of house and HOME..LMBO.. The way we talk to each other, folks think we must hate each other but all in all get along really well. Someday I will get him talked into .338 and throw all his other crap away.

Welcome to home, Dago
Your host is chatspace.chat.server, running ChatSpace 3.0 - Server Edition

Now talking in Lobby

DelW hacked my server
Can anyone explain why this about ( Delw) is posted in this chat room and just what does it mean>DelW hacked my server?? whats with this?? anyone??

I think it was a JOKE...... I'll go change it, Don't worry, Delw don't know crap bout 'puters ;)

WELCOME Aboard MAte' Looking foward to meeting ya

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back