Caribou Gear

Browning X-bolt Rotary Magazine Feed Issues

HighDesertSage

So I don't know how I missed this this past summer of shooting, but I am having issues with my x-bolt feeding the 2nd and 3rd rounds in the rotary magazine. This first one chambers fine, but then the 2nd and 3 both get "stuck" in the magazine and do not come up all the way so bolt can grab it and put it into the chamber. Has any one else ever had this issue. I at first thought it was the magazine, but I ordered up two more that arrived today and they both have the same issue. I don't know if maybe because I just started reloading if the brass is now to large to smoothly cycle through. Also, when I back out the screw on the back side of the magazine it seems to loosen up a bit and not get so hung up. Any reason I can't leave that screw backed out a bit? Just curious if anyone had any insight or experience they could share. Thanks.

I'd contact browning. I've had zero feesining issues with the factory mag and a second one I picked up.

I am going to give them a call tomorrow. It's definitely not the rifle though. The rounds get hung up in the mag outside and inside of the rifle.

Yes, try factory ammo before you go on to Browning. It could be a very small issue with sizing or length.

Called Browning this morning. NO safety concerns backing out that screw on the back side of the rotary mag until rounds cycle freely. I think I'm good to go. Thanks all.

@HighDesertSage
Only nearly 4 years late, but I may have an answer for you.
I have a Browning X-Bolt .300 Win-mag & experienced a very similar issue. Often times, if the bolt wasn't simply running over top of the next round up in the magazine, it would just barely catch it but then immediately jamb up once the projectile was caught by the feed ramp, as the case rear would fall off the bolt face.
A good way to test if your issue is near identical to mine is to cycle the bolt while pressing upward on the magazine. If it cycles properly, or at least better, you may actually be experiencing a poor frame to stock seating issue.
I say this because I never really dove into the issue, as I primarily hunt paper at a range & tend to load one round at a time.
Recently however, I found a manufacturer that makes an aftermarket stock for that model which has the features I've desired for some time now.
After swapping the stock out for the new one & getting it torqued down, I realized, in the function testing phase, that it was suddenly feeding my dummy rounds consistently.
After loading & cycling several times without issue, I decided to get to a safe area & verify with live rounds. Unfortunately, the area I was in, though adequate for a potential negligent discharge, wasn't suitable for live fire. The live round testing wasn't quite a thorough successful. However I'm fairly certain as to why. Though I didn't experience a single feed issue, assuming I'm accurate in my thinking, it seems as though the weight of the unspent rounds might be more than the extractor & ejector can handle without pulling the bolt as though I'm attempting to start a weed-eater or something. That being said, I don't expect to encounter any issues whatsoever once I make it back to the range for a bit of paper stalking adventure.
At any rate, I hope my experience will help you in identifying the issue and guide you to a solution.
Best of luck! IMG_20210709_015144_901.jpg

Last edited:
I had this problem with hclr heavy contour also. The fix is to use a dremel tool to open up the front of the magazine. You can actually open it up almost to the pin that hold the clip release it extends the clip to the point that you can Load longer bullet lengths and get close to the lands. I know cuz I have done this on two 300 win mag. Brownings and 4 clips they all work and cycles fine with full clip. Pay attention to where it hangs up and grind around the shoulder area and forward.

I know this is an older thread but I was having issues with my magazine and come to find out browning has a recall on them. They have fixed the issue on the newer mags. The area in the magazine where the shoulder of the cartridge touches causes too much friction and can be sanded or ground down. Browning will also send replacements. I am waiting on my replacements yet.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back