Browning X Bolt or Winchester Featherweight?

ludville1

Have it narrowed down to a Browning X Bolt Medallion in the Man Bun, or a Winchester Featherweight in .308 Win. Both are short action standard calibers with a 22" barrel. The Browning is fancier with a high gloss stock and high polished bluing. Really like the looks of the Featherweight with the Schnabel fore end. Love my Super Grade, but have never had a Browning...hence part of the attraction of getting one. Pretty much a toss up on price...the two rifles are within $20 of each other. Oh, and either one would be more than capable for the deer hunting in Northern Michigan that I do.

Last edited:
I’m bias towards Browning, so I say the X-Bolt but it’s your money. .308 is a great cartridge, second only to the .30-06.

I don’t have experience with the Winchester but I do own a X-bolt HCS in .300wm and love the thing. Already planning to buy a second one as a base for a custom deer rifle.

I know the x-bolts get a lot of love but I was less than impressed with the hells canyon I bought and just got rid of. I’d definitely go feather weight!

I loved the way the gun felt and handled but it was super picky with ammo. I’m not a reloader but tried 6 different factory offerings. The only thing it would shoot consistently were 180’s and I didn’t need that extra recoil from an 06. I even pulled a scope off a rifle I knew shot well to make sure it wasn’t just me. I think Browning makes some good stuff, just had a bad experience

Really appreciate all of the responses. Tough decision, I believe that they are both great guns, no wrong choice here. Will sleep on it, and likely order one of them tomorrow.

Back