Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Browning BOSS options

Northwoods

I have a Browning A-Bolt .30-06 that I bought 20 years ago with my college graduation money. The rifle came with a BOSS and I haven't hunted with it for a while because of the muzzle brake. Without starting a muzzle brake debate I'm looking for some opinions on my options. I could get a BOSS-CR but I would rather have a naked muzzle. If I leave it as is I have threads showing. If I have the barrel cut off before the threads I will be left with an 18" barrel which will look silly with the stock on the rifle. What I'd like to do is have the barrel cut off and get a synthetic stock that looks nice with the 18" barrel. What are the pros and cons of doing this? Thanks.

I had mine cut off and the barrel recrowned. Shoots better than with the weed-burner B.O.S.S that it came with. The rifle looked silly WITH the B.O.S.S. it's handier now.

I have an abolt 30-06 with the Boss. I tried all 3 ways with break, with cr and without either. I have never been able to warm up to the rifle despite that it it shoots great all 3 ways and handles well. I dont think I will be happy with it short of a rebarreling. It was a gift so I doubt I would sell it.

I had a browning A bolt stainless stalker in 338 with the Boss in LH.........Foolishly I sold it. It had plenty of barrel to chop and re crown. I would love to have it back.

With that said I would chop the barrel and re crown just like shootbrownelk suggested. In 30-06 I would run that barrel down to 21" and not worry about it, but a rebarrel is always fun an maybe the perfect time to convert to a 35 Whelen!

Bob im not sure how long the barrel on your 338 was but the barrel on my abolt 30-06 is 22 inches with the boss on. When you remove the boss the actual barrel length is 20. So if I was to cut mine back passed the threads I would be sub 20. So no way on mine to get to 21.

If you want to try a solid boss, CDNN Sports has a bunch for like $9.95 each.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back