Browning A5 Shotgun,,,pre-WW2

Mustangs Rule

I just bought a Browning A5 shotgun,,,pre WW2,,,12 guage full choke. It is in very nice shape all around price was $450. It seems to kick pretty hard with 2 3/4" Turkey loads even though this gun is heavy. It has the original plastic butt plate.

I patterned it at 30 yards,,, a tight cluster of "5's" hit pretty close to point of aim. just a few inches to the right.

I am not ure why I bought it,,,,timeless classic I guess,,,,,,or old dinosuar??? Any body else out there hunting with this shotgun have anything to say about the A5. Any advice for use or maintence.? I heard adjusting the front big nut is crictical.

Thank you

Mustangs Rule

Slip on recoil pads can help keep those old shotguns from beating you to death while still retaining their original “beat you to death” character.

I have three 3" mags and two sweet sixteens. Hunt with them every year since 1966. I don't find them heavy and they came with recoil pads.

With the full choke I have shot triples at 50yds on canadian geese.

Great guns and they last forever.

Mine isn't 100 years old but it looks like it.
It's a late 1970s model and I've been shooting it ever since I bought it new when I was a teenager.
It's mostly been used riding in a kayak and has been on the saltwater numerous times on the Bering Sea. It's only been strip cleaned once for the first time in 40 years just last year.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.....or replace it.
20210131_201415.jpg20210131_205010.jpg

Light twelves aren't supposed shoot steel but I have been shooting steel since the beginning. Line up the buffer rings as according to the factory. Use a little light Rem oil on the magazine tube. Keep it clean - not daily but every couple weeks. Keep the cap on the magazine tube finger tight. Firm but not excessive. Shoot them often.

I find I like 30" barrels on the magnums and 28" barrels on the 16s. Enjoy!!

It's a late 1970s model and I've been shooting it ever since I bought it new when I was a teenager.
It's mostly been used riding in a kayak and has been on the saltwater numerous times on the Bering Sea. It's only been strip cleaned once for the first time in 40 years just last year.
View attachment 188582View attachment 188583
I know this thread is about A5s but those cinnamon teal are awesome looking.

Originally mine had a 32" full barrel but when we switched to steel shot I bought a 26" with choke tubes.

Wow, I feel like I just paid my memberships dues to an exclisive club. Do I understand that some of you have been shooting steel shot without damage?

I can hardly wait for turkey season. I looked at some of the super long range "turkey Guns" for sale and they gave me this quezzy feeling in my stomach,,,,like some basic principle of hunting was being violated.

I have been a very pleased owner of some Browning Hunting rifles, had one for 49 years,,,30-06 Safari grade Bolt action.

Belgium made,,,,just top shelf all the way.

I like the way this one fits me,,,,when I bring it up with my eyes closed and open them, all I see is bead.

Wow, I feel like I just paid my memberships dues to an exclisive club. Do I understand that some of you have been shooting steel shot without damage?

I can hardly wait for turkey season. I looked at some of the super long range "turkey Guns" for sale and they gave me this quezzy feeling in my stomach,,,,like some basic principle of hunting was being violated.

I have been a very pleased owner of some Browning Hunting rifles, had one for 49 years,,,30-06 Safari grade Bolt action.

Belgium made,,,,just top shelf all the way.

I like the way this one fits me,,,,when I bring it up with my eyes closed and open them, all I see is bead.
I wouldn’t shoot steel with a full choke in a gun that old. Bismuth is the way to go.

Amazing that it has only been strip cleaned once in it`s 40 years. Anyone think that a recent vintage gun would last that long being used hard? Wayne

Welcome to the club. You will find us much more accommodating and agreeable than those fancy pants SSGS types....or is it SSSGS? (snooty sxs sixteen guage society, or something along those lines)

Thankyou, I don`t know any SSSGS but I do have a beautiful post war Sweet Sixteen the red color. This gun does not say Sweet Sixteen but will letter as such. Wayne

I just bought a Browning A5 shotgun,,,pre WW2,,,12 guage full choke. It is in very nice shape all around price was $450. It seems to kick pretty hard with 2 3/4" Turkey loads even though this gun is heavy. It has the original plastic butt plate.

I patterned it at 30 yards,,, a tight cluster of "5's" hit pretty close to point of aim. just a few inches to the right.

I am not ure why I bought it,,,,timeless classic I guess,,,,,,or old dinosuar??? Any body else out there hunting with this shotgun have anything to say about the A5. Any advice for use or maintence.? I heard adjusting the front big nut is crictical.

Thank you

Mustangs Rule
Sounds to me like you got a great deal. Congrats. Hope it kills everything you shoot at.

View attachment 188582View attachment 188583
You should write a book about your adventures with that gun and use one of those pics on the cover. I’ll bet that gun could tell some stories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back