Browning A Bolt 3

No way to tell if it’s a shooter until you, well, shoot it. I’m told that the AB3s aren’t as good as the predecessors, but I can’t say for sure. Congrats on the win!

I fully realize that I won’t know until I shoot it, just looking for general empresses.
I can get the AB3 or a Vanguard, just need to make up my mind.
Heard the Browning has a lot of plastic in it. Not sure I like that idea.

They are kinda plasticy feeling. Despite my love of tang safeties, if I had the choice of one of those, or a Weatherby, I'd choose the latter.

I have one in a 222 remington. It shoots dime size groups with a 50gr v-max.

My son has one in 708 that shoots great. He has taken 3 elk with it. I am not a fan of the plastic trigger, but would not hesitate to own one of the price was right. Between the it and the vanguard, I would go with the weatherby. The browning will be close to a pound lighter than the standard vanguard if that makes a difference to you. --- R

The only “disadvantage” to the Weatherby, if you could even call it that, is the high Monte Carlo style cheekrest that doesn’t fit some people well. Totally a matter of preference, though. I do think that it’s a better rifle than the AB3

i have 3 vanguards including one chambered in 300 win mag. its the first lite camo one with a brake . it shoots fantastic with 200 grain hornady precision hunters.

I have one with 26” barrel assuming yours is the same. Mine shoots pretty good better than I do. I love it it’s even lighter than the xbolt.

I have a Weatherby Vanguard Lazerguard in .257 Wby. mag. Beautiful gun that is solid and shoots lights out. Can't comment on the AB3, but am considering a X Bolt Hunter, Medallion, or White Gold Medallion...have never owned a Browning.
Rifle LZGRD.jpg

Why the donut? mtmuley
LimbSaver barrel de-resonator. Supposedly reduces barrel vibrations and tightens groups. Have no idea if it actually helps, lol! I've seen YouTube videos that have claimed that they helped, but I've never done a before and after test myself.

Last edited:
I have an AB3 in 300wsm paired with a Leupold vx-2 4-12x40. For the price i really don't think you can go wrong. Mine is extremely accurate, not picky about ammo, and it doesn't bother me if it gets beat up. It really likes Federal Premium w/ 180gr partitions.

Well, they sent me the AB3. I’m gonna give it a try and see what happens. Found a place that has replacement springs for the trigger. Guess I’ll have to buy another set of Talley mounts. None of the A bolt mounts I have will work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back