Brooks Range Caribou 2023

As to Your rifles, there is a requirement that guns must fly. You should follow up with Alaska air and with TSA.20 years of guiding up there I came to expect at least 25% of my flights would be weather delayed. Glad you made it out.
Yeah, we found it especially odd they couldn't locate them immediately, given it was firearms. It seemed like they got "misplaced" during transfer from American to Alaskan in Seattle, but the delay and lack of bag tracking was especially frustrating. Tracking just said, "unloaded in Seattle" then they disappeared.

As it turned out, the airline delay just kept us from spending even more time on the gravel bar at base camp.

Excellent description of a great adventure, complete with the requisite Alaska weather delays. You guys handled the bumps well and looks like you had a great time!

@crock239 Did you see any wolves? Were you able to notch that tag, or no wolves to be seen?
No wolves while hunting. During safety briefing at base camp, the outfitter told us they had one wolf harvested last year out of 165 hunters (can't say for sure how many of those were carrying tags). During the drive home on Dalton Highway we saw a wolf cross the road, but that's it.

We also didn't see any bears.

While we were out, though, another camp had a bear destroy their tent while they were out hunting. Sounded like they had left food in the tent. Outfitter flew a new tent out to them, and the bear came back into the camp a night or two later and the hunters ran it off by shooting pistol at it. I think they flew the camp to a new lake after that. At least that's the story as we heard it.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back