broadhead flight

SneakyJake

I know this topic has been hit before. Every year I sight in my broadheads, it seems like they are grouping at least 6 inches from the field points and not always in the same spot. It seems like every year I have to adjust my sights. I am shooting 100 thunderheads with 5575. Is this a shooting form problem or should I just expect this every year? I have been bow hunting for about 9 years and I always seem surprised when it happens. I have been thinking about going to zwickys, but I have heard they group even worse.

you need to tune your bow
Like if your BH are hitting 6" lower then your FP then you need to move your nock point down re-sight your FP and then shoot your BH. If you are hitting hight with your BH move it up.
If it is left to right you need to move your rest.
PS use the same arrow

It’s a complicated problem, but one that can be solved.
If you are shooting consistently and accurately with field points, then fine tuning you bow will correct most, maybe all of the problem.
Broadheads will exaggerate minor tuning problems, so move your rest and/or nock point in very small amounts, with the goal of moving the point of impact on broadhead tipped arrows closer to field point arrows. In other words, if broadheads are hitting the target 6” left of field points, move your rest 1/16” to the right. After each move, shoot a group or two. When you get close, start moving your rest 1/32” at a time.
Once you get the groups the same at one range, I have found “walk back” tuning to be very helpful.
Walk back tuning involves using a target with at least three feet of vertical impact surface. Start at a close distance ( 20 yrds ? ) and shoot a group at a spot at the top center of the target. Then, move back 5 or 10 yards, and SHOOT AT THE SAME SPOT, USING THE SAME PIN! Move back and do it again. In other words, even though you are moving back to 30 yrds and 40 yrds, you are still shooting with your 20 yrd pin at the same spot at the top of the target. You arrows will impact lower and lower, and IF they are hitting in a vertical line directly below the first group, your bow is in pretty good tune. If the point of impact starts to drift left or right, adjust your rest as described above.

Most of the better archers will tell you that just about any broadhead can be tuned, but some broadheads have a reputation for being “easy” to tune. Hear is a (partial) list of fixed heads that have a reputation for being “easy” to tune ( note, Thunderhead is NOT one of them)

Magnus Stinger
G-5 Montec
Steelforce
Rocket
Slick Trick
Razorcap
Wac Em

I’m sure there are lots of others, these are just the ones I have played with, (first 4) or read so many good reviews about that I would trust them.

Everything that the other guys said is true. Another thing I would be sure to check is your arrows... Have them spin checked with a gauge. I shoot cx300 arrows tipped with 100 grain muzzy broad heads. I was having problems getting groups tight at the beginning of this year.. Just bought new arrows. Went through my bow and everything was good, then I had my arrows spin checked and I was extremely surprised how off they were... Went through and found some good ones and that cured the problem. After that nocks were flyin off. The arrows were all brand new, right from the factory. Thinking about swithching away from carbon express after that. Gpod Luck and happy hunting

Thank you for the wisdom. I did have a new string put on my Q2 this year. I was having problem with the peep (they put a new one on) and a bow tech at the range pointed out that they didn't put any serving on it to hold it still. Who knows about the peep. I always trust these guys. I'm sure there are a few problems I may have encountered this time. I will give it a go and let you know.

Paper tune it!!!!
This will give you your arrow flight. Go down to the pluming store buy some pvc make a stand and put it about 6' in front of your target. Now shoot your fp through the paper and watch how you tare the paper. Now you can make your small ajustments to your nock point and arrow rest. You want the tare to look like a bullet hole with 3 lines in it. Now your fs and bh will fly the same.
Now every year check it and shoot with accuracy.

I guess I never had a good instructor/mentor for any of this. I kind of learned on my own. All of this makes sense. One of my broadheads had a few gashes on it. Probably the reason why I was getting mixed signals from the two arrows I was using. I didn't see it, kind of like the branch that one time. So make sure they are paper tuning straight and then adjust the sights. I have always been going straight for the sights and that was incorrect. Still working on it.

If you have never paper tuned your bow, go to the Easton website and download the paper tuning guide. It does a good job of telling you and showing what needs to be done with different paper tears. It's in a pdf format so you can also print it out and have a hard copy for reference. Good stuff in there and at least it give you a starting point.

http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads.asp

Went into the archery shop to have them look at the bow finally. I couldn't get it to shoot right. The tech took one look at it and said the kid who put the new string on got the timing off. He had to take the sting back off and redo it. Three shots later on the paper, it was coming out perfect. Very stressful, I'm surprised I was able to hit an animal this year the way it was shooting.

The ATOM broadhead is advertised to shoot right where your practice tips shoot. Its only on 100 grain and it kills great. It only comes in 100 grain right now.

http://arrow-dynamic-solutions.com/store/index.html

Atom-100-grain.jpg

Agree with Bo...Wac'em & Muzzy are the only two I use and have had no problems with either holding up or tuning.

I have had really good luck with the G5 broadheads both the mechanical and the fixed blade Montec I really like their flight and there durability. Just another one to look into.

I have to use a Crossbw so for years I would look for the best to shoot out of it. I finily settled on he Slick Tricks about 8 years ago. What I like about the is they shoot like my broad heads. Their thick blades bust bone without breakng. I like Muzzy's also but they break allot.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back