Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

British double guns, who uses them?

ismith

If you don’t, please explain why you like ugly shotguns that handle like sucker rod.

Shotgun & 3 BPE doubles.
My Alex Martin is a snap action hammer gun with scroll engraving & 30" bbls, open choke w/ 2.5" chambers. Light & easy to tote.

Alex Henry 450/400 2/38th's double (think 44 mag). Small game gun. I've taken whitetail with it.
Mortimer 450 3.25 BPE - heavier game gun, about like a 450-70, but lighter bullets at faster speeds. 350 grains @1800 fps.

Rhodda 577/500 No.3. Marketed in India for shooting tigers from the backs of elephants. Probably a Rigby or other high maker that was produced under contract for Rhodda.

Dad had really good taste.

They are some very nice guns. Had a client a few years ago that showed up with a matched set of H&H royal 12s He allowed me to shoot some clays with them, unbelievable how well I shot.
I preffere a splinter foreend and a straight stock. Being left handed I struggle with the trigger alignment with traditional right handed guns. Cast off can be a little frustrating as well.

Worst as a left handed shooter is reaching through, if you will, to fire the right barrel, front trigger, first and inadvertently firing the second barrel during recoil. Pretty well trained up to fire the left barrel first.
I’ve only looked at a couple of true left handed British Doubles, triggers reversed and cast on applied to the stock. I hesitated on the price and they were gone pretty quick.
Currently shopping for an Italian or Spanish side by side with splinter foreend and a single trigger. CSMC also a possibility. I would like to get my hands on a Fausti DEA as the stocks are reportedly neutral and balance well even with choke tubes. Given I’m still hunting chukar and stand a whole 5’10‘’ almost never shoot clays I like shorter barrels and appreciate the versatility of choke tubes for late season hunting.
Think I need to log into Vintage Doubles and see what he has on hand.

I'm sending my Griefelt o/u in for a tune up in January to get the triggers set for left handers & put a bit of cast on in it. Probably do a leather pad as well.

The german guns seem to have more cast than the British guns. I'm lucky the AM is cast neutral, but if you can't shoot a gun with the stock directly on your heat, are you even serious about internal pulmonary edemas?

Last edited:
If you don’t, please explain why you like ugly shotguns that handle like sucker rod.
Not really sure what sucker rod is, but I use British shotguns almost exclusively. Got nothing to do with chukars or the lack thereof. Some strange stuff appears on HT.

Anyway, what's the point of the thread?

THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS!!!
GC2 Grouse and Cashmore.jpgGus Greener Pheasant 20191208.jpg20201015 Ducks Cashmore.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back