Breed help

We have a Golden (non working but WONDERFUL dog) and then a couple of years ago the wife "asked" about getting another dog. I say asked because the deposit had already been paid by the time I was "asked" ;) So we got Hammish when he was 8 weeks old. He is a Westie and was supposed to be the girl's dog. From day one the little booger has been all over me. He is 3 now and +- 20#. He is small but tough, sturdy and thinks he is a monster :) Very people oriented and the Golden loves him.

Attachments

• Daisy and Hammie.jpg
    Daisy and Hammie.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 17
Look into a Welsh Springer Spaniel they are like a cross between a beagle and a britany

Most of my dogs have been shelter dogs and they have all been great. Don't dismiss the pit bull off hand, one of my daughters has a pit and a pit mix and another daughter has a pit. They are three of the nicest family pets anyone could hope to have. On the other hand I did once see a pit bull single handedly kill a full grown cow.

Beagles bark. Can't deal with them.

Why not another Britt? They're great dogs. Mine was an unabashed lap dog, but dude could turn it on in the woods whether we were camping/hiking/canoeing or hunting. I miss that stupid mutt every day. I'm looking into getting another one ... just a matter of time (and whether I get one or two).

Following this thread....in a similar boat. A good family dog, watch dog that has the physical ability to go backpacking for a few days.

Leaning toward a Jack Russell Terrier, Parson Russell Terrier, or Corgi.

If what you are wanting is a family dog, I wouldn't hesitate to get some sort of mixed breed. Our first dog was a lab/border collie cross - sometimes referred to as a Borador. Border Collies are often regarded as the most intelligent breed, and labs aim to please. She was like a small lab, around 55 lbs. God she was a good dog -gentle, intelligent, obedient, and loving.

AbbyAndElers.JPGAbbySnow.jpg

Last edited:
There are some heeler sheltie cross pups kinda local that look cute as can be. Might have to go look at one

Those could be some cool colored dogs. Hope you get a good one. I am glad you are far away in Missouri, and hopefully my wife doesn't see those puppies or we might have a new mini dog sled team.

Take a look at these breeds:
Jagdterrier- not an ounce of quit in them. Border Terrier- (pictured) smart, sweet, great for a family, smaller but not foo foo.
Jack Russell- crazy smart, lots of drive, will take care of any rodent problems you have.

Attachments

• 3A94FB81-D715-4D02-A0A9-C5A0D6CEB962.jpeg
    3A94FB81-D715-4D02-A0A9-C5A0D6CEB962.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 9
Don't write off a pit mix, family member has one and she is the best dog with little kids that I have ever seen. Better even than my labs. I would second the suggestion of a smaller lab. That or look around at some shelters, not too difficult to find a dog that matches up with what you are looking for

Find a lab with smaller parents. Great family dogs and you can find them around 40-50lbs.

My male lab just turned 1 in April. Hes right at 50lbs.

I've personally found the larger breeds to be calmer in the house than the smaller breeds.

Attachments

• IMG_2618.JPG
    IMG_2618.JPG
    329.7 KB · Views: 1
always been a hound person. i have a 120lb blood hound right now and he's a great dog. We got a Corgi about a year ago and i hate to admit it but she is a great dog. very smart and great with kids. easy to train, smart, listens well and won't run off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back