Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Breaking in Merino wool?

npaden

Do you need to break in Merino wool?

I've been getting a few items in Mernio wool and am having a little bit of a hard time adjusting to it. When I first put it on it feels a little itchy, eventually I guess I get used to it, but I was wondering if I could use anything to help with this?

I have some Core4 Mernio boxers and those have always been fine. They are also a little on the thin side and since I wear them when I jog I've worn a few pairs out.

I then bought a 190 weight Merino top from Core4 and it was a little itchy. I now bought a 250 weight Merino top from Kuiu that is also a little itchy.

Is it the heavier weight tops that make them a little itchy? Any thoughts?

The low micron merino is meant as a next to skin layer. I don't know anything about the Core4, but I have the Kuiu 185 tops and bottoms and I love them. No itch at all, but the Kuiu 250 layers are meant to be a second layer worn over the 185 and the website says you will have slight itch if you use the 250 as a base layer. I think the 185 are 17.5 microns and the 250 are 20.5.

Okay that makes good sense. The Core4 190 stuff isn't as itchy as the 250 Kuiu shirt I just got.

I got the 250 Kuiu top as part of a package deal on some used stuff, I'll hold onto it for a while and see whether I end up liking it. I was pretty impressed with the rest of the Kuiu stuff.

I bought the same Core4 top a few months back. I left it in the package until a couple of weeks ago for a hunt. I wasn't smart enough to check it out when I first got it but it had a huge hole in the back.

I also have the KUIU 250 and I didn't notice any itch or uncomfort with it.

All i can say is in relation to Merino i use Icebreaker and have never had a problem, but my local store sell tops they describe as 'smartwool' and these can be itchy.
But icebreaker is pricey.
Cheers
Richard

I plan on using a heatgear UA longsleeve under the KUIU 250. I noticed a slight itch using the 250 next to skin. I figure sweat may exacerbate the itching hence the UA wicking layer.

My core 4 merino does seem to itch a little, while my first lite does not. After wearing both and working up a good sweat it seems to be less noticeable. Could just be that I am getting used to it.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back