Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Bread makers

I use to make bread by hand. Now have a left hand with arthritis in the thumb and getting over shoulder surgery. Kneading bread is mostly out. For you youngsters make it by hand and enjoy it.
Also I hate heating up the house this time of year with the oven.
If using whole wheat flour there is an ingredient from King Arthur flour to boost the rising other wise your whole wheat will be flat and heavy.
Learn and listen/read there is a lot of little secrets and hints to making really really good loaf of bread.

Good luck nick87 and wife.

Also I hate heating up the house this time of year with the oven.
We don't have air conditioning never did.
I do have a 5-burner LP BBQ with a side burner.
This time of year I bake in it, as well as everything else.
Temprecher is important so is the dryness.
I use a cut-down coffee can with water in it to help when baking.
Hard to beat Burgers on freshly baked buns.

There are two cookbooks by America's Test Kitchen called How Can it Be Gluten Free and HCITGF 2.

They are the gold standard of GF in our kitchen.

Worth noting is that while almost all cooking and a lot of baking is an art form - gluten free baking is a science. You can't really go free form with it. None of the cup-for-cup flours work and you can't just take a regular recipe and replace wheat flour with GF flour. I would also add that with GF flours, there are no single source replacements. So straight oat flour, or straight rice flour will not make a good product.

I use a blend for everything from America's Test Kitchen that works very well.

I don't have the exact measurements, but I think it's a blend of white rice flour, brown rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, and a little bit of milk powder if I'm remembering correctly.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back