Brass

gregt9146

I deprimed some 300 WSM brass this afternoon and some of the brass came out of the die with a bunch of really small dents around the shoulder. Why would they dent like that? also are they safe to reload?

You are using too much lube. Yes they are safe to reload. The dent will come out when fired.

I switched to Hornady One Shot spray and that resolved 100% of the issue.

Some might but I've never used a dented case. In my experience when a case dents on the shoulder it's from to much case lube. In the end your dies get a build up of case lube inside..

You are using too much lube. Yes they are safe to reload. The dent will come out when fired.

I switched to Hornady One Shot spray and that resolved 100% of the issue.

Do you spray direct onto the brass or onto the lubricating pad and roll?

Direct onto the brass. Follow directions on the can. I have found with big cases like the RUM it pays to coat well in a 360 degree spray. mtmuley

Do you spray direct onto the brass or onto the lubricating pad and roll?

Generally it is directly onto the brass with a few minutes to dry but recently I've started putting brass in a Ziplock then a light spray, mix, light spray, mix, very light spray, and a brief rest to let the vapors settle...keeping things relatively conservative. The bigger cases like the WSMs and RUMs may require a bit more attention. Just today I processed about 100 pieces of 300WSM with this method and found that I needed to add a bit more lube midway through.

Last edited:
The dented cases are fine. I have shot tons of them over the years. Hornady One Shot is the way to go, but I will add that when you spray the case, make sure you have some inside the case neck to make it slide off the expander better. I spray each individual case and let them sit for a few minutes before running through the die. After removing it, I wipe it in a paper towel, de-burr the mouth of the case, clean the primer hole and go on loading.

Yep too much lube. I started using generic store brand non-stick cooking spray for my resizing. Way cheaper and works just as well if not better.

I started to reload 300 wsm a few years ago for my long shooter. One thing I hate about 300 wsm is the lack of quality brass. I check with a few place and the only company that make brass for the 300 wsm is Winchester. Hoping lapue or Norma come out the some good brass.

Winchester brass are ok not great, I rather buy one time fired brass from Winchester nickel plated.

Norma makes .300WSM brass. So does Nosler, not sure who supplies it. Both are top notch. mtmuley

I started to reload 300 wsm a few years ago for my long shooter. One thing I hate about 300 wsm is the lack of quality brass. I check with a few place and the only company that make brass for the 300 wsm is Winchester. Hoping lapue or Norma come out the some good brass.

Winchester brass are ok not great, I rather buy one time fired brass from Winchester nickel plated.

SPS has Nosler blem brass in stock now in 300 WSM, $39 for 25 pieces

C

Back