Brant's first season

MT_Chad

Last weekend Brant his first live retrieves in on a duck hunt just him and I. By the third bird he was marking well and fully taking the birds in his mouth, it was the first time he has had an actual bird in his mouth, not just a wing. My poor shooting and loosing a bird to the river resulted in a slimmer bag than we should have had. I was pretty proud, he's a fast learner, if it wasnt for big game season and short days we'd be a lot further along with our training. Looking forward to spring and hitting training hard again.

Attachments

• 20191208_100207.jpg
    20191208_100207.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
Got out this morning for Brant's first field shoot for geese. He did pretty good considering we haven't trained yet for field work in blinds. He wasnt a fan of laying down while the birds worked. Overall he did better than I expected for a 9 month old dog. We had a great morning and he got some work retrieving his first geese.

Attachments

• 20191214_103610.jpg
    20191214_103610.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 11
Good job!! Keep getting him in birds and he will amaze you. Mine did anyways
Thanks, my last one amazed me too, he hated training, I never could get more than about 20 minutes out of him, but in the field he was amazing. If I do my part, this one will be every bit as good as the last one.

A few years ago my wife and I had our 10 month old female Chesapeake with us in Saskatchewan. We had completed LOTS of training before the trip. The number of birds she was exposed to in Saskatchewan provided for "Doggy College" before she was one !! Have fun with the new pup !

Great goose hunt. My lab doesn't like his layout kennel blind or goose pits.

I do love watching dogs run down geese in fields though.

A few years ago my wife and I had our 10 month old female Chesapeake with us in Saskatchewan. We had completed LOTS of training before the trip. The number of birds she was exposed to in Saskatchewan provided for "Doggy College" before she was one !! Have fun with the new pup !
I hope he can make the long ride to Saskatchewan with us next year, if I do my part he should be ready.

Great goose hunt. My lab doesn't like his layout kennel blind or goose pits.

I do love watching dogs run down geese in fields though.
My old one hated his blind too, I ended up building a makeshift blind for him. It was a $10 camping pad in a cordura sleeve with a piece of camo sewn to it. The camo had a small piece of PVC pipe in the outside edge so I could throw it over him. It works alright and drake liked it better than his blind, it was also a lot lower profile.

Got out this morning for Brant's first field shoot for geese. He did pretty good considering we haven't trained yet for field work in blinds. He wasnt a fan of laying down while the birds worked. Overall he did better than I expected for a 9 month old dog. We had a great morning and he got some work retrieving his first geese.
That must've been a sight. Your 9 month old retreiving those 12+ pounders! Congrats!!

Back