MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

"Brandy" 7mm Ruger Number One at 300 yards

Guy

Recently put a lightly used 3.5-10x Leupold on Brandy, the 20 year old Ruger 1-S Medium Sporter I purchased last winter. Also had some 160 grain handloads to try at the range.

Dog and I put the rifle in the Jeep and headed to the gun club for some shooting! Sighted the rifle in at 25 yards, then switched to the 300 yard gong. At 300 yards the first shot was low, so I dialed in a fair bit of elevation. Second shot looked decent for elevation, but was left, so I did some twisting on the windage knob. Then three shots into 1.5" at 300 yards from the bench.

I was pleased. The 160 Sierra Gamekings are doing 3025 fps with the 65 grain charge, and shooting very nicely. I may still swap to 160 grain Nosler Partitions, but honestly I'm quite satisfied with the load. I've used this load, or loads very similar to it a lot in the past with other 7mm Rem Mag rifles. This rifle is likely to see use in Washington and Wyoming for mule deer, pronghorn and hopefully black bear.

ddDEKJ0h.jpg

b34rzXqh.jpg

4uUomE2h.jpg

seYuBWsh.jpg

XYu6WbZh.jpg

eV8PDpbh.jpg

I think Brandy is ready to hunt.

BTW - Brandy got her name from what I was drinking when I found her on Gun Broker last winter - a nearly new, twenty year old rifle.

Guy

@Guy....22" bbl @ 7 lbs should be a very good carry. Nice scope choice & good shooting.

My #1 bbz 7 mag is 8.5lbs...took it to the mountains chasing bulls wearing a 1x5x20 Lupe once...was enough.

Reactions: Guy
Ya, this has a 26" barrel, not sure the weight. It's no lightweight though, that's for sure.

Guy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back