Yeti GOBOX Collection

Brake or No Brake

I read years ago, John Barness I believe, who said that hearing damage occurs with brakes even if you’re wearing ear plugs and muffs. No thanks. I’m waiting for suppressors to become easier to buy.

Years ago, somebody whose identity can't be confirmed wrote something and I believed it ever since.

Maybe if your shooting a howitzer.

Ear protection has dB ratings. Rifles create dBs. Show me the facts.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/07/muzzle-brakes-sound-test/

5-15 more dB depending on the brakes in this test.

Last edited:
Years ago, somebody whose identity can't be confirmed wrote something and I believed it ever since.

Maybe if your shooting a howitzer.

Ear protection has dB ratings. Rifles create dBs. Show me the facts.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/07/muzzle-brakes-sound-test/

5-15 more dB depending on the brakes in this test.

I read a lot. It was with John Barness or Wayne Van Zoll that made thaw statement. I have books from both of them on my bookshelf and could find it in a few minutes. However, as you want to act like an arse, I suggest you don’t use any hearing protection.

I used to hate brakes, now I would never own a rifle with out one. The amount of accuracy that I gained and being able to spot my own hits seals the deal for me. This was my first year hunting with one and I killed 4 big game animals. you'll see in the pics orange ear plugs around my neck. They take about 1 second to put in and never once was I not able to put them on. The last Kodiak buck was a hurry up deal where I had about 5 sec to shoot. Still managed to get them in time for a shot.

iyw14X6.jpg

I suspect with the current trend toward light, lighter, and almost totally weightless rifles, no matter the caliber.
Breaks will be more and more common and necessary in many cases.

No brake. Why brake a rifle? If you can't handle the recoil then step down in caliber are my thoughts. I can recover from a sore shoulder, but new ears is a lot more involved.

^^ this, i am not a fan of how loud brakes are. i already have bad hearing just from being a construction worker so why make it worse doing my hobby?

I read a lot. It was with John Barness or Wayne Van Zoll that made thaw statement. I have books from both of them on my bookshelf and could find it in a few minutes. However, as you want to act like an arse, I suggest you don’t use any hearing protection.

Just pointing out there is a science to this... not just rhetoric. I would like to know more...

I have 2 Thompson Center Encore barrels that have brakes on them. 7mm mag and 300 win mag. These rifles are so light that the recoil was stout. After the brake the are like shooting a .308

blacksheep

I guess you either love them or hate them. Having a break to me is not about being able to handle the recoil or the cartridge. Heck I even have a break on a heavy barrelled 22-250. I like the fact that the sight picture doesn't move after the bang.

It would be great if you could find it. I'd be curious what they have to say. Like others have pointed out, rifles create dBs and hearing protection has dB ratings. So I'm curious to hear how somehow rifle brakes negate the science of hearing protection. Not trying to be an arse either, just trying to understand your original comment.

It’s funny how passionate people are about this. User preference. No right or wrong. Nobody has to shoot my rifle but me and nobody is forced to hunt with me. My hunting friendships aren’t divided over a muzzle brake and if they are I should probably reassess who I am hunting with. That sums it up for me.

It’s funny how passionate people are about this. User preference. No right or wrong. Nobody has to shoot my rifle but me and nobody is forced to hunt with me. My hunting friendships aren’t divided over a muzzle brake and if they are I should probably reassess who I am hunting with. That sums it up for me.

I agree, it weird how much some people care about the little choices. But then again, the internet (incl. HT) would be nearly empty if people didn’t endlessly push opinions as facts.

Some hate recoil but want big calibers, some want big calibers but hate the extra noise. Live and let live guys.

FTR, I use a brake on most all of my rifles, but I NEVER fire a shot without ear pro in, and I always consider where I am in reference to other shooters both in the field and on the range.

Earplugs have around a 30db reduction value. Anything above 130 for momentary noise causes damage. With that said most rifles cause hearing damage with ear plugs.
I have lost over 90% in my left ear from one instance of a friend shooting a braked 300 weatherby off to left side.

One other thing. The better a brake reduces noise the louder it will be. I use a short 1" brake on one rifle I have and while it doesnt reduce recoil as well as a longer break or one with more hole area its also not as loud.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back