Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Boyd stocks

SD_Prairie_Goat

Hey All,

I'm thinking of upgrading my GF's Howa 1500 in 243 with a Boyds stock for xmas. (Not the greatest xmas present ever but she really wants to go antelope hunting next year and the factory stock is kind of shit ha)

Anyone have good or bad stories with their stocks?

I'm thinking either the spike camp, or at-one model. I'm close enough I'll probably just take her to the factory and see which she likes the best.

Another question, did a new stock help with accuracy? Even handloading I can only get about 1.25" at 100yards with the gun, hopefully a new stock tightens that up?

While I can't speak first hand about Boyd stocks, I've heard great things from friends and family who have them.

It depends on the stock you currently have, but if the barrel is free floated and the new Boyd's stock is more rigid than the factory one, I bet you will see an accuracy increase.

I have had Boyd stocks. They are functional and a decent value. However, I prefer B&C stocks for a bit more or H&S Precision for more than a bit more.

Hi SD, i bought a boyds stock for my remington 783 -270 to spruce up a cheap rifle alittle bit. I've had it for atleast 5 years now and no signs of fading or wear (laminate) and I really like the finish on it. It was an easy swap.

I was curious on the accuracy as well because I was thinking of getting a new stock for my Remington 7400 weathermaster which is famous for not holding zero due to the stock, but not sure I want to spend $150 to test this theory...

I have had Boyd stocks. They are functional and a decent value. However, I prefer B&C stocks for a bit more or H&S Precision for more than a bit more.
Understood. I like supporting local if I can and Boyds is just over in Mitchell so it just makes sense.

Hi SD, i bought a boyds stock for my remington 783 -270 to spruce up a cheap rifle alittle bit. I've had it for atleast 5 years now and no signs of fading or wear (laminate) and I really like the finish on it. It was an easy swap.

I was curious on the accuracy as well because I was thinking of getting a new stock for my Remington 7400 weathermaster which is famous for not holding zero due to the stock, but not sure I want to spend $150 to test this theory...
If I end up getting one I'll let you know if it tightened up the groups at all.
While I can't speak first hand about Boyd stocks, I've heard great things from friends and family who have them.

It depends on the stock you currently have, but if the barrel is free floated and the new Boyd's stock is more rigid than the factory one, I bet you will see an accuracy increase.
Current one is the factory rubber. Just does seem like the greatest stock for anything....

I put one on an Axis II bull barreled 308. It's an extremely accurate 'cheap gun'. Looks nice enough, required a tad bit of filing to get the mag in and out smoothly. Its not a light set up.

I replaced the tupperware stock on my savage 308. I went with a Prarie hunter and really like the ergonomics and check weld over the plastic stock. Got the rear pillar and the barrel dropped right in, no problem passing a dollar underneath the whole barrel. That said it's heavy as chit. But my gun was on the heavy side to begin with. Rock steady.

I swapped out a Savage 110 "Switchback" stock earlier this year to a Boyds varmint\tacticool. Apparently for the 110 they will only install one pillar, so I elected not to pay them to do it and figured I would do it myself at some point. I did have to sand the barrel channel open to accommodate the Switchbacks heavier barrel, but that was a really easy and simple process. Once it was opened up, I dropped the action and barrel in and decided to go see how it shot. It looked great, shouldered great and seemed to maintain accuracy (which was already superb).
Capture.PNG
With how well it shot, I decided to leave it alone before bedding it or installing pillars. I took it out a couple weeks later and could no longer hit even the 300 yard 12" plate (which prior to I had gotten to a 100% cold bore hit rate laying prone over the last 6 months). I brought into paper at 100 and was hitting everywhere. I first figured it was one of two things. 1) as the action screws compressed and settled on the stocks laminate it created a pressure point. Or 2 the scope finally took a dump. Figured I would check the stock first and there was a crack clear through from the rear action screw to the magazine well.
IMG_0032.jpeg
IMG_0036.jpeg

Prior to install, I had emailed Boyd's to get the torque specs without the pillars and used my wheeler wrench to install it at their specified numbers. I'm not sure what happened, but I'm almost certain it was a flaw with the piece of laminate I received. Boyd's was fantastic to work with. They had me cut the stock in half and send in a picture and in a couple of days had refunded my money. If you notice, I believe the dark wood piece that is laminated in the middle of the stock is where the fault happened. I'm not sure if that was just a rotten piece that was laminated in or what.
IMG_0037.jpeg

I have plans to buy another and I do recommend them to people. I just let them know that if they do either buy the pillars installed or install your own. They are heavy, but that can be remedied if you're handy. They have terrific customer service (in my experience) in a time when money companies didn't have great customer service due to the pandemic.

313DC87F-59AA-49D8-B3FC-2095935302DE.jpegI have a thumbhole featherweight. It is light, and stiff. I love the laminate wood. I, and others love love the look. I added a bunch of the accessories. The seashell checkering has great grip, limbsaver pad is cush, and the aluminum pillars seemed to be stiff. I didn’t have to do a thing. My first group was a 1/4 inch, and hasn’t shifted a lick. It is a custom rifle…

I bought one a couple winters ago, and returned it. The checkering on the fore end wasn't centered. Was I being picky? I don't know, but for $350, it wasn't acceptable to me and looked like crap. They apologized and took it back no questions asked. I ended up going a different route, but it was a nice stock otherwise, fit and finish was really good. I'm thinking of getting another one for a Howa Mini and chopping it for the kids to use.

As far as the OP question on will it shoot better. Hard to say, but if you bed it, I've yet to have a rifle I bedded not improve on accuracy.

20190301_143618-COLLAGE.jpg

I bought one a couple winters ago, and returned it. The checkering on the fore end wasn't centered. Was I being picky? I don't know, but for $350, it wasn't acceptable to me and looked like crap. They apologized and took it back no questions asked. I ended up going a different route, but it was a nice stock otherwise, fit and finish was really good. I'm thinking of getting another one for a Howa Mini and chopping it for the kids to use.

As far as the OP question on will it shoot better. Hard to say, but if you bed it, I've yet to have a rifle I bedded not improve on accuracy.

View attachment 202085
So ideally I'd get the aluminum pillars, then glass bed it?

Bummer on the quality you got there, I have a feeling she'll want a more basic, but pink stock option ha

View attachment 202082I have a thumbhole featherweight. It is light, and stiff. I love the laminate wood. I, and others love love the look. I added a bunch of the accessories. The seashell checkering has great grip, limbsaver pad is cush, and the aluminum pillars seemed to be stiff. I didn’t have to do a thing. My first group was a 1/4 inch, and hasn’t shifted a lick. It is a custom rifle…
Good looking gun man, what caliber?

No experience with Boyd's stocks, but can I just suggest that you hedge your bets a little bit and get her something else in addition to the rifle stock? I obviously don't know her, but my experience with buying gifts for my wife has given me one or two little alert bells and flashing lights, which all went off upon reading your post... Good luck!

No experience with Boyd's stocks, but can I just suggest that you hedge your bets a little bit and get her something else in addition to the rifle stock? I obviously don't know her, but my experience with buying gifts for my wife has given me one or two little alert bells and flashing lights, which all went off upon reading your post... Good luck!
Ha! It's not her only gift, I'm not that foolish in my young age

I bought an at one for my vanguard 6.5 x 300. Didn't really care for the squareness of it and couldnt get past it so I modified the square edges and made it a bit more left hand friendly. I bedded it and the the accuracy never really increased. Still kicked like a beast. It started to collapse the butt plate upon firing. Nothing scary like a scope coming back at your eye. I asked them about it and they sent me a replacement locking device which seemed to help but by then I had formed a piece of heavy foam that fit between the stock and buttplate. In the end, i put the cheapo vanguard back on and it is just as accurate, The gun will do moa but the dang barrel is so thin that after I shoot it out, I will consider replacing with a heavy barrel and then upgrade the stock again. I'm not really a laminated fan. I would consider a solid stock in "Prairie Hunter" ?

This is my Savage Axis in 243 bought new in 2012. The original Axis came with a junk flimsy stock. I ordered this stock the summer before the 2020 fall hunting seasons. I believe it is the plains hunter. Great stock. I didn't glass or pillar bed the stock. I just bolted it on and made sure it still held zero, which it did. The only other upgrades to this gun is a Nikon Buckmaster scope which replaced the pos cheap Bushnell that came with the gun and a set of scope rings that actually hold the scope in place. Boyd's makes some darn nice aftermarket laminate stocks.
boyds.jpg

I swapped out a Savage 110 "Switchback" stock earlier this year to a Boyds varmint\tacticool. Apparently for the 110 they will only install one pillar, so I elected not to pay them to do it and figured I would do it myself at some point. I did have to sand the barrel channel open to accommodate the Switchbacks heavier barrel, but that was a really easy and simple process. Once it was opened up, I dropped the action and barrel in and decided to go see how it shot. It looked great, shouldered great and seemed to maintain accuracy (which was already superb).
View attachment 202062
With how well it shot, I decided to leave it alone before bedding it or installing pillars. I took it out a couple weeks later and could no longer hit even the 300 yard 12" plate (which prior to I had gotten to a 100% cold bore hit rate laying prone over the last 6 months). I brought into paper at 100 and was hitting everywhere. I first figured it was one of two things. 1) as the action screws compressed and settled on the stocks laminate it created a pressure point. Or 2 the scope finally took a dump. Figured I would check the stock first and there was a crack clear through from the rear action screw to the magazine well.
View attachment 202063
View attachment 202064

Prior to install, I had emailed Boyd's to get the torque specs without the pillars and used my wheeler wrench to install it at their specified numbers. I'm not sure what happened, but I'm almost certain it was a flaw with the piece of laminate I received. Boyd's was fantastic to work with. They had me cut the stock in half and send in a picture and in a couple of days had refunded my money. If you notice, I believe the dark wood piece that is laminated in the middle of the stock is where the fault happened. I'm not sure if that was just a rotten piece that was laminated in or what.
View attachment 202065

I have plans to buy another and I do recommend them to people. I just let them know that if they do either buy the pillars installed or install your own. They are heavy, but that can be remedied if you're handy. They have terrific customer service (in my experience) in a time when money companies didn't have great customer service due to the pandemic.

My Boyd’s stock cracked in the same way after a year. I originally bought it as a cosmetic “rapid fire” deal. Not so much of a deal now. I called and talked with a couple different people about it and the only thing they offered me was a 10% discount on my next stock. Idk, it just put a bad taste in my mouth about it all. This was a delamination and had nothing to do with the cosmetic issues that put it as a factory second. I’m fixing it this winter and hope it holds up.

My recommendation, if anyone goes for a Boyd’s, is to have it pillar bedded from that factory so it was “done properly” by them for any warranty issues.

Attachments

• 4E531989-B18F-4F79-8257-C4F60B44FA4D.jpeg
    4E531989-B18F-4F79-8257-C4F60B44FA4D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 0318A554-F2FF-410E-9494-F5E830A31BBB.jpeg
    0318A554-F2FF-410E-9494-F5E830A31BBB.jpeg
    823.7 KB · Views: 12
  • CBB6428E-6D78-4021-B07F-8FE836BF5B13.jpeg
    CBB6428E-6D78-4021-B07F-8FE836BF5B13.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 13

Forum statistics

Threads