Bow setup for 2015 elk hunt

huntin' lunatic

I have hunted whitetail with a little Reflex bow set at 65 lbs, for years and have killed a few. I am thinking of upgrading my bow for elk. So here is the question: what do most of you shoot? Need to know what arrow weight, and broad heads are needed. I hear people talking about taking 60 and 80 yard shots? Really? I thought the object of bowhunting was to get close to your game? Anyway, I tried other sites for advice but they fall short on advice. thanks a lot fellas.

I shoot the same set-up for whitetail as I do for elk. My current bow is a Mathews Heli-M at 70 lbs. Not sure my arrow weight but I stick to the 100 g broadheads, either Ulmer Edge where they are legal or G-5 Montecs where they are not.

Hunting elk out west is a way different game than hunting whitetail. Sixty yards is the longest I'm comfortable shooting and I'd recommend getting as comfortable as you can shooting longer range. Elk have a much bigger vital area than whitetail (think the size of a beach ball vs. the size of a football, give or take) and are much less "jumpy" which allows for a little more forgiveness at those longer ranges. I can tell you getting inside of 50 yards can be a huge challenge, depending on how many cows and calves are around. If you can get comfortable shooting at 50 yards plus it'll greatly increase your odds of success. Is it necessary? Maybe not. Will it help? Don't see how it can hurt.

All of my dead elk were shots under 40 yards. Your bow will be fine and you can get close if you are sneaky and don't stink.

I practice out to 60 yds, won't shoot at one that far. Longest shot I've taken was 45 yards. All the elk I've killed were between 8-35 yards. It's not that hard to get em in to 30 yards if you watch the wind. I shoot the first legal elk that comes into range, so it's usually the less wise ones. I shoot a hoyt katera at 62 lbs with Easton axis arrows & 125gr shuttle t's.

Your current setup is likely more than adequate for a western hunt. With today's bows you don't need high poundage to get enough energy, 65lbs is plenty. Arrow weight; I prefer over 400gr for an elk arrow but that depends on bow poundage and draw length to maximize your setups tuning and performance. Distances are determined by realistic comfort and ethical decision making but I would get 50yrds within my relm of possibilities. Broadheads are a huge debate; I'm a slick trick 125gr magnum guy. Fixed blades that are replaceable with a chisel tip. Practice holding and shooting from all sorts of positions and angles. Have fun and don't over think it.

I shoot a hoyt charger at 60 pounds not sure about my finished arrow weight but I hunt with carbon express maxima hunters and innerloc broadheads and am comfortable out to 60 yards and the furthest elk I've killed was 47 yards closest one 12 yards and none have made it further than 80 yards just remember 90% of it is shot placement

60# Mission Balistic, Tight Spot quiver, Eason Axis 340 spine with 50 gr weighted inserts up front. Blazer vanes, Nocturnal lighted nocks and the business end tipped with Muzzy Trocar. :eek:

Hoyt Faktor 30, set at 60 lbs. Carbon arrows with 100 grain Cabelas Lazer broadheads. Finished arrow weight is 410 grains.

I must agree with what's been said thus far. Furthermore, 60-80 yard shots may be fine at a paper target, but in my opinion are not ethical when hunting elk. There is just too much that can happen at that distance. You're right, part of bowhunting is getting close. I shoot a Mathews bow at 70lbs and prefer 125 grain fixed, cut on impact broadheads.

I shoot my Bowtech at 68 pounds. Yours is plenty. Don't be afraid to shoot a heavier arrow. I shoot a Carbon Express Kevlar Hunter, which I think is 9.5 grains per inch. My total arrow is about 450. I shoot 125 grain heads.

70 pound Alphamax Shooting a 425 gr arrow completely passed through a P&Y Tule elk at 50 yards with a 100 gr Wac 'em.
You are shooting plenty of bow. Upgrade if you want but keep it for a backup.

I would say If you want to change something. Go to a heavier arrow or head. Shoot as heavy as your setup will allow. I am at 436gr total with 100gr heads and am thinking of seeing how 125gr heads will shoot for me next time I purchase some.

I shoot a 2006 Darton Vapor, (traded my brother a ranch truck for it)
set at 60# (maxed out)
31.5 inch 11.7 GPI arrows with 100 grain broadheads
A Black Gold Site
Ripcord code red rest
I am confident to 60 yards but wont shoot an elk past 40 max.
I think I need a newer bow and give this one to my dad to shoot :D at least that will be my excuse I would do what you are thinking of and by a bow that is newer but still a year or two old. With that being said, the bear on my profile pic was killed with a pse game sport from about 1995. anything will kill an elk if you are close, confident and make a good shot:)!

Bowmadness XS 70#, 27" Draw, 390 gr Hunter Arrows, 100 gr Slick Trick.... bull dead with 40 yard shot. Long shots have potential for error. Notice how far the arrow is back... the bull moved forward as I shot... arrow travels fast but a slight movement can put the impact point off by a few inches the farther the shot.

Mathews Z7, 65 pds, Easton 400 FMJ with 100g TT Shuttle T's. Avg shot deer and elk less then 35 yards.

I was worried that my setup wouldn't be sufficient for elk before going this past September, and only realized that I would be going about 2 months in advance. Concerned, I asked the guy that I would be going with, and after I told him that I had a 7 year old bow, that wasn't a top of the line bow, his only question was..."can you shoot it?". I trusted him since he has been bow hunting elk for 21 years. My response was that I have shot a ton of whitetail with it with alot of confidence. He told me that my bow would be fine, but he recommended shooting heavier arrows and broad heads than I do for whitetail.

The 20 yard shot at the 5x6 bull was a clean passthrough and he only went 100 yards.

I'll be the odd ball here. I shoot a 65# home made recurve. 145 grain Magnus 2 blade broad head. Finished arrow is 30 1/8" long. After crown dipped weighs in at 690 grains. She spits them out at blinding 172 ft per sec. Last bull that jumped in front of my arrow crashed around 50 yards away. I'm sure your Reflex will do just fine. Ask yourself this question, would you rather be hit with a whiffle ball at 100mph, or a baseball at 50? Go as heavy as you can for arrows.
That bull was a whopping 7 yards when I shot him. I'm comfortable out to 30 yards but I'd rather be 20 and in. It's supposed to be a up close and personal kind game.

I shoot a Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo. 65lbs with 28" draw and easton carbon Injextions with slick tricks 405 total arrow weight. I practice a lot and out past 70 yards fairly often, I shot a 60lb bow before that. Killed a bull a couple years ago at 54 yards shooting a 335gr arrow out of my 60lb bow. Killed my last bull at 13 yards with 65lbs and a 405gr arrow. Both were equally dead.

I think your bow would be fine but if you are looking for a new one they are nice too. Just shoot a bunch and see what you like the best. I would stay away from draw length specific bows really no reason to shoot over 60lbs or less unless you want to. I couldn't find anything I liked better than my hoyt and still haven't. Once you shoot a hoyt for a while it is hard to shoot a different bow and have it be as comfortable, it's all in the grip for me.

Good luck on your elk hunt I haven't found anything remotely as fun as hunting rutting elk with a bow.

I shoot a 70# bow and a total arrow weight of 419gr with Shuttle T's.
As stated, a heavier arrow is going to have better results on elk sized game.
Like Dan said above, ping pong ball @ 100 mph vs golf ball @ 50 mph - same profile/aero dynamics, different kinetic energy (or thump) down range. Lighter also loses acceleration faster - how far can you throw a ping pong ball vs a golf ball?

With that said,
I think practice to develop confidence (and competence) is more important than setup. I practice all year long out to 120 yds with broad heads = confidence.

I also missed an elk at 45 yds this year: Steep, steep downhill angle that I never practiced (and maybe a little bull fever)!! :eek:

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back