Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bow poundage, grain weight question...

SWMontana1

I'm that guy that doesn't like change... If it ain't broke don't fix it- I'm especially that way with my hunting and camping gear. I have shot a bull the last 3 years with the same setup... All the elk were 35 yards or less. I have a 27 inch draw, pulling 63 pounds, and shoot 85 grain montec g5. Any thoughts or any reasoning why I should change? I don't know the ins and outs of the correlation between all 3 but when I shot at the range yesterday an employee made me feel stupid and like I shouldn't be shooting 85s....

There is certainly nothing inherently wrong with shooting 85 grain broadheads, bottom line is: if you hit where you should the animal will expire quickly. I shoot a very heavy arrow, nearly 600 grains and I'd like to go even heavier. I do this because I don't care about speed, I care about energy. I like maximum penetration (bring on the dirty jokes). I have always been one to really aim close to the scapula on big game so if I hit a little forward of my aim point, I will be alright and punch right through. Now, in order to do this I have to sacrifice a little on how far I am willing to shoot. Since most of my hunting isn't in wide open western states, I'm fine with limiting my shoots to inside 35 yards. If I intended to try and shoot out to fifty or sixty yards I would definitely shoot a lighter arrow. Pulling 63 pounds, your bow could definitely handle a heavier arrow but again, if what you shoot works for you, great. Stick with it and keep dropping elk.

So your arrow weighs ~325gr and maybe your shooting 280fps; so your ke is around 56ft lbs. While this is not a high number, most arrow manufactors will state over 55lbs ke is sufficient for most big game and you have proven this to be true. For arguement a sake, saw you pump up to 100gr heads, you potentially loose ke due to a slight velocity lose. I prefer my arrows closer to 400gr but that is a personal preference that not only factors ke; but more importantly noise control, tune ability, and consistancy. Personally, I think the guy you ran into is a product of to much talk and not enough tech.

Stick with it. A lot of people put way too much energy into thinking about gear which over time leads them to believe hunting can't be done without a carbon bow and matching camo undies. Congrats on your elk, stick another in a month!

To be fair, it does help pass the time until hunting season. :D

Haha, that is true and there is too much time between seasons!

FWIW I am also in the 400+ grain camp. I shoot 430 a smidge over 300fps, my dad 400 at 255 and my son 350 around 240 if I remember correctly. I've seen each kill elk fine with me looking for my arrow somewhere on the hill more often than not. It does give a little more leeway with a center punched rib or bunched muscle but I still don't take questionable shots.

Three weeks from today I'll be back in the woods and hopefully given the opportunity to test arrow weight vs. penetration theories again. Good luck to all this fall.

My setup is almost identical to yours. 62 lbs & 27 inch draw. I decided to up my poundage for next yrs elk hunt. I gave both limb 1/2 turn increase. After shooting 4 times a week for a month, I dropped my poundage back down. I was flinching really bad from the poundage increase & my arm was hurting ! W the comfortable draw weight u can hold it longer at full draw.
Personally I think complete pass thru's are alittle over-rated. When that deer/elk/beer runs off w the broadhead still in them...it just tears them up more ! Ive only had 1 complete pass thru & yet Ive only had 1 critter run more than 100 yds before expiring. I also like what MtnWest stated @ his partners. W the arrow sticking in them as they run off, u can see exactly where u hit.

Personally I think complete pass thru's are alittle over-rated.

I agree except when shooting from an elevated position. If the entry is fairly high on the animal it can take a while for the body cavity to fill up with blood and start leaving a trail. I lost a nice 9 point buck years ago when I hit the offside shoulder and I never found a blood trail. I was ~ 25 ft up in tree stand in a little 6 acre woods surrounded by 300 acres of corn. A blood trail would have helped. Only animal I never recovered.

The only reason I would up the weight is if you want to see what it does accuracy wise. I shoot 100's normally and tried 125's and my groups actually shrunk tot he point I was putting arrows in the same holes very consistently, but I lost some speed. Pros and cons to each. Im still going to shoot 100's this season but plan to go to 125's next season for the accuracy. (my 100's are still accurate, but the 125's seemed better on my arrow)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back