Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Bow maintenance

Flatbrimmer

So as I’ve stated in earlier threads, I’ve only just started archery hunting last year. I met the owner of the Easy V bow site at my dads super bowl party and we became friends right away. He told me to do archery Ed so I did. COVID made that super easy, thankfully, and I’d already had Hunter Ed since I was like 15. He sold me my first compound bow- an 07 PSE XForce. I’ve replaced the strings and cables, as well as a cable slide after a buddy derailed it shortly after I bought it. Never let anyone shoot your bow- CHECK. I’ve gotten great advice from my buddy and I feel super confident with my bow nowadays. Maybe even more so than my handguns at 70 yards or less. LOL
Anyhow, I’d like to hear what everyone’s routine maintenance would be on your compound bow? We all know the strings need waxed, but what else do you do to ensure a long lifespan for the bow/cams/limbs/cables etc? To ensure your own safety and remain confident in your equipment? Thanks!!

I never wax my strings, unless it’s time to sell the bow on archery talk. Waxing helps promote stretch. I shoot almost every day in the spring and summer. I put new threads on every year. By years end they are starting to fuzz. I don’t Keep the bow in the vehicle for long periods of time during excessive heat this can cause issues for the limbs.

I go to a quality bow shop before hunting season every year to have it tuned and to get their expert opinion on the state of strings, cables and such and replace what's needed. I'm super careful when transporting and while hunting to not hit the sights. No leaving it in hot vehicles. I wax the string when/if I think about it, but never more than once every couple of months. I would not transport my bow on a 4-wheeler using gator grip type devices where it's being jarred with every bump.

Support your local bow shop. I've been unfortunate enough to live in some places that did not have bow repair/maintenance expertise and it really sucked. I go out of my way to purchase at my local bow shop lest I end up having to rely on chain sporting goods stores.

I shoot 5-6 days a week. I check my strings daily when they get fuzzy I was them. Thats all I really do. I check and make sure everything is in order before I shoot.

I saw this ELK 101 Vid awhile back that would take some digging to find, but Cory or whoever was in the video noticed a small screw was missing from the cam. said that’s it, can’t use it. SOL… haha I would have never noticed?! I’d of shot it at a huge 6point and wondered why my arrow shot toward the heavens and my bow is now derailed. 😂😂 I guess I figured a lot more folks get nerdy about making sure everything is exactly 8.5 foot lbs or something 😅

When I replace the strings and cables I remove the limbs and cams. Clean the limb pockets, cam bearings, axles and then put fresh lube back in. There is a lot of dirt and debris that collects in those areas.

When I replace the strings and cables I remove the limbs and cams. Clean the limb pockets, cam bearings, axles and then put fresh lube back in. There is a lot of dirt and debris that collects in those areas.
Are you just using lithium grease for the limbs and something like a 3 in 1 on the axles?

Are you just using lithium grease for the limbs and something like a 3 in 1 on the axles?
I use a product called Super Lube it is a synthetic grease good from -45 to 450 F. Use it for limb pockets and axles. Has 0 smell and a tube will last you a long time.

I have my local bow shop go over it every fall, other than that I just check periodically to make sure everything is tight. shooting it can loosen some screws pretty easy.

I like to take it to the local bow shop every year or two at the most. Just doing routine maintenance every year, I -- wax the string, look VERY closely at the bow top to bottom, run a cotton ball over the limbs (this will help find cracks in the limbs), and carefully wiggle my sight to see if any part of it has loosened in the couple months that I'm not really messing with it.

Check your eclips. They do fall out. Mark all your stuff and tap the riser. If anything is loose it’ll vibrate.
If you shoot carbon shafts, flex em and check your nocks. If they’re cracked and blow off during a shot it could be about a dry fire
Can’t believe I read not to wax strings.
Strings will wear much quicker if unwaxed. Actually a lot quicker. A string/cable job is expensive. String wax cheap. I’ve never had strings stretch excessively.
When I make strings I prestretch em anyhow. New strings if unstretched stretch regardless.

I don't have a regular scheduled interval; but, I wax my strings about once a month. The main thing I do for my bow maintenance is I check every screw and bolt before every range session. Anytime my bow gets wet, every inch of it gets wiped down thoroughly and then I wipe all metal down with a silicone cloth of some sort.

... a buddy derailed it shortly after I bought it. Never let anyone shoot your bow- CHECK.
lol I went digging in the forums for 'derail' because I just bought a Matthews Phase 4 - my first bow - and my buddy did this immediately 🤦‍♂️

Lesson learned, no one is allowed to touch. It'll be back in the shop at lunch

lol I went digging in the forums for 'derail' because I just bought a Matthews Phase 4 - my first bow - and my buddy did this immediately 🤦‍♂️

Lesson learned, no one is allowed to touch. It'll be back in the shop at lunch
First thing any ignorant non-bowhunter wants to do when you show them a bow is pull it back with no arrow and no release 😂😂 you will never do it to another man’s bow either because you’ve seen it happen 😂😅

Edit: sorry that happened bud. It does a number on your limbs. Keep an eye on axel holes

First thing any ignorant non-bowhunter wants to do when you show them a bow is pull it back with no arrow and no release 😂😂 you will never do it to another man’s bow either because you’ve seen it happen 😂😅

Edit: sorry that happened bud. It does a number on your limbs. Keep an eye on axel holes
Haha thanks man, I took it to the shop yesterday and dude said it looked fine. He reset the string and set me on my way. Lot of lessons about to happen in a short period of time!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back