Caribou Gear

Bow hunting 101

mxracer317

Big time elk and deer rifle hunter here. Finally accepting that i need to get into bow hunting to extend my season, and experience the awesomeness of hunting during the rut.

Please point me in the right direction on how to learn the skills, equipment, etc.

Much appreciated and a little nervous.

Good place to ask questions.

Your post requires some specifics and I would suggest that on this forum you do just that. Don't be afraid to ask some very specific question if you want good answers. Where and what type of terrain do you hunt, What state and how much time do you have yearly can play a very big part in suggestions on equipment choices. It will make a big difference as to how you outfit yourself. Everything from bow choices, arrows, rest, sights and all the specific gear that goes with bow hunting. In general if you already have good hunt experience you should have most things you need already aside from a well set up bow and time shooting along with some quality discussions on tactics and scouting for bow season based on the area you hunt, terrain and big game animal. Things such as: should you use a tree stand or ground blind, natural blinds and so on. It's a different game as far as that goes because of time of year you will be hunting. Have an open mind about what advice you get as most people are correct In their advice and choices based on their "personal" needs for the area they hunt, state, climate and so on. There are no one size fits all solutions and some things work really well in some areas while others do not (equipment and tactics). Archery hunting can make your head spin when it comes to discussing equipment, tactics and so on.

Fire away and welcome to the forum!

Good place to ask questions.

Your post requires some specifics and I would suggest that on this forum you do just that. Don't be afraid to ask some very specific question if you want good answers. Where and what type of terrain do you hunt, What state and how much time do you have yearly can play a very big part in suggestions on equipment choices. It will make a big difference as to how you outfit yourself. Everything from bow choices, arrows, rest, sights and all the specific gear that goes with bow hunting. In general if you already have good hunt experience you should have most things you need already aside from a well set up bow and time shooting along with some quality discussions on tactics and scouting for bow season based on the area you hunt, terrain and big game animal. Things such as: should you use a tree stand or ground blind, natural blinds and so on. It's a different game as far as that goes because of time of year you will be hunting. Have an open mind about what advice you get as most people are correct In their advice and choices based on their "personal" needs for the area they hunt, state, climate and so on. There are no one size fits all solutions and some things work really well in some areas while others do not (equipment and tactics). Archery hunting can make your head spin when it comes to discussing equipment, tactics and so on.

Fire away and welcome to the forum!
Thank you! Elk and Mule Deer. Idaho & Utah.

Your broad question, short response with lack of many specifics makes it feel like you’re looking for everyone else to do the homework for you. Research the basics and come with some some specific questions and there are probably a lot of us here happy to help narrow down your plan. Welcome to the forum and hopefully to bowhunting!

Find a well established shop in your area and go hang out a while. I hesitate to recommend YouTube or anything like it. Too much questionable or plain bad information on there.
Go get probably fitted for your draw and then start shooting every brand bow you can get your hands on. You’ll find the one that feels right for you, not the salesman.
Remember, archery is supposed to be fun. There is nothing you can buy that will replace practice with a properly tuned bow.
There are no shortcuts!

It’s easy to get equipment that wasn’t quite the right thing for what you wanted, and it’s even easier to ingrain a set of bad habits when you start to shoot. I’d recommend checking out 3 different pro shops if you’re fortunate to have 3 within reasonable driving distance, and pose your questions there. I’d stay clear of the ones that try to tell you a bunch of information and push sales. The one who asks the most questions and takes the most time is the best one. It’s likely that you won’t know the answers to many of the questions (blind or spot and stalk, fall away rest or w-biscuit, aluminum arrows or carbon, etc). This means you will need to take time to read up on these subjects and learn more, and then come back to the pro shop to continue the conversation. It’s a process - it’s needn’t be onerous, but it still worth taking your time.

Archery is an art and a craft, with a healthy dose of physics. Guns are a little more straightforward and operate more like power tools, whereas a bow is more like a musical instrument. It’s the fencing and fly fishing of the hunting world.

Your stated motivation to get into archery of extending your season, and feeling that you need to, well...archery takes a lot of practice, it can be frustrating, and you deal a lot with nuance. Short summary, it’s just not for everyone. I hope you fully enjoy it and are out there chasing cervids in September next year. Also be ready to find that maybe it’s not your thing.

Sound advice above. You will have a lot of decisions to make (brand of bow, arrow rest, sights, release, arrows, field point/broadhead (weight and brand), etc.). As stated, go to a local or a couple local archery shops and get your draw length known and then start "test shooting" the different bows. Find the one that fits and feels good to you. For a brand new bow and accessories, you'll be looking at around $2,000.
Once you get your bow, I would start researching 3D target shoots in your area. Find a friend to go with you. The 3D shoots will help your shooting and they are fun (research a Total Archery Challenge near you).
You're going to make mistakes and your going to lose or break arrows. It can be frustrating, but it will likely be rewarding. Keep in mind that a small percentage of archery hunters are successful (like 6% - 8%).

Your broad question, short response with lack of many specifics makes it feel like you’re looking for everyone else to do the homework for you. Research the basics and come with some some specific questions and there are probably a lot of us here happy to help narrow down your plan. Welcome to the forum and hopefully to bowhunting!
Short response only because I don’t know what I don’t know. Just trying to take as much information in and then ask more intelligent questions. Not being lazy in anyway shape or form. 😃

I'll echo what ElkFever said...visit several pro shops if possible. I'd also suggest staying away from Box store archery shops unless that's your only option. A good shop will spend time with you to make sure things fit you. Tell them what you're hunting and what you'd hope to get. Before they sell you a bunch of stuff it doesn't hurt to say hold up can I do a bit of research on product X...that's especially true for arrows. I was sold the wrong spine arrows by a bad shop and it took a long time for me to figure that out.

My first bow, bought online, was way too heavy for me to draw and my drawlength was way too long. I finally got to a shop and the "savings" I got online ended up costing me a bunch of $ in new cam modules and a new string to fit. My second bow was a lot more intuitive because I knew what I needed.

See if there are any archery clubs in your area, and if so, look into joining one. It’s tough with COVID restrictions, but hanging out with other bow hunters will be the quickest way to get up to speed.

A GOOD shop is paramount. A lot of shop will measure your wingspan setup the bow shoot it through paper and hand it to you and say good luck.
I’d research shops in your area and try to find one with a legit certified archery coach on staff that you can pay for lessons. Schedule a few lessons and go in and get your bow and get it set up. When you buy your bow they should set it up pretty close to what you will need but during your lesson your coach should work on form and fine tune the bow to you.

also I highly recommend NOT buying a “ready to hunt/shoot” package bows. The accessories are very low quality and your better off buying quality used accessories on eBay if your on a budget.

All good suggestions, I was in the market for a bow and went to a box store. I new better but had an hour to spare and could get to the box store quicker then the local outfitter. I shot one bow a box store branded bow it wasn’t too bad next the sales guy hands me Bowtech to try. It was a left handed bow, I’m a right handed shooter. My knowledge of bows is limited but I’m not an idiot. I brought to his attention and his response was no problem it will work for right handed shooters also. I gave him the bow back and left. No questions in my mind about using a legit bow shop and that solidify it.

New archery guy here also. I bought a bow from a friend of a friend. Then the money starts flying fast. It’s really expensive to get started but lots of fun to shoot. As stated above find a good shop get your draw length figured out watch Craigslist and other online classified ads for a good deal. Good luck practice often it’s real hard to get close to big game and go full draw but I did harvest a buck this year with my bow. I only had a bow for 60 something days before I went out for my tag. I didn’t wound a single deer until I fatally wounded the one in my freezer. Practice doesn’t make perfect in hunting but sure helps minimize mistakes.

New archery guy here also. I bought a bow from a friend of a friend. Then the money starts flying fast. It’s really expensive to get started but lots of fun to shoot. As stated above find a good shop get your draw length figured out watch Craigslist and other online classified ads for a good deal. Good luck practice often it’s real hard to get close to big game and go full draw but I did harvest a buck this year with my bow. I only had a bow for 60 something days before I went out for my tag. I didn’t wound a single deer until I fatally wounded the one in my freezer. Practice doesn’t make perfect in hunting but sure helps minimize mistakes.
Awesome. Love to hear your success.

Big time elk and deer rifle hunter here. Finally accepting that i need to get into bow hunting to extend my season, and experience the awesomeness of hunting during the rut.

Please point me in the right direction on how to learn the skills, equipment, etc.

Much appreciated and a little nervous.
This has been pointed out but I will put it more bluntly. Bow hunting is 10x harder than rifle hunting. There is little room for mistakes when you need to get within 50yds. Get ready for that. The benefit is it will make you a much better rifle hunter. Failure tends to do that.

First, cost is not $2000, that's for top of the line stuff and easy to spend that much. However most companies have "packages" that are just fine. All newer bows are good, but I'd suggest you stick with a "known" company like PSE, Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech - they all have their supporters, it becomes a ford v chevy v toyota argument! To get an idea, check this link: https://www.lancasterarchery.com/bows/compound-bows/compound-bow-packages.html

However, unless you know what you are talking about I would NOT buy there. I love Lancaster, but you need to understand a bit first.

find a bow shop and tell them your new, if they do ANYTHING before figuring out your draw length, you are in the wrong place. That said, most bows, especially the not top of the line, come with adjustable cams. For example, my wife shoots a PSE Driver, it's a couple years old, but for about $500 or so came all setup with everything except a release and arrows. She's been shooting for a LONG time and won several state 3D/target championships, so she's not a "rookie", she loves this setup.

Once you have your draw length, move to weight. Again, will be a range. You want your "comfy" level to be the upper end, cause, well as you get older you will lower it :) I started years ago shooting 75lbs, now shoot 60, but with technology it's spitting arrows out faster than the 74 lbs did. At 60 pounds you will be ready for pretty much anything in the lower 48.

Getting the "package" lets you avoid the decision and cost of rests, sights etc. They are all there. Once you are doing this you can upgrade piece by piece.

Make sure you find someone that can help you with form, bad form means bad consistency. Decent form is easy, but it's easier to start right than break habits. However, back to the beginning, wrong draw length is the death sentence for good form. Wife and I sort of "archery adopted" a 14 year old neighbor, his Dad knows little/nothing about archery, his grandfather does traditional (all neighbors). He had a compound, set up by an "expert". Well his draw length was 3 inches long and the bow was setup wrong. Once he got comfortable with us. I ripped his bow apart, re-setup everything and shortened the draw (adjustments on the cams). The next day his groups at 20 yards went from 6 inches to 2 inches. Between simple form tweaks and bow setup, he thought he magically got "good"

The shop SHOULD let you shoot any bow that's on the rack, they should toss a simple rest on it and have a release for you to try. All bows will feel different to you, you are looking for a comfortable grip and a bow that just sort of "settles" into full draw for you. I've spent hours with people when I worked in a shop and with 10 minutes of "lessons" then trying bows they just find one that works.

then, start practicing!

This has been pointed out but I will put it more bluntly. Bow hunting is 10x harder than rifle hunting. There is little room for mistakes when you need to get within 50yds. Get ready for that. The benefit is it will make you a much better rifle hunter. Failure tends to do that.
Also, THIS 1000000% Expect to "blow it" even getting to full draw the first several times. My first deer with a bow was I think my 4th try that day to get to full draw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back