Bow hunter fatally shot in San Juan National Forest

An orange hat is really not that big of a deal. Why does there seem to be such hate for orange?
Cuz I bought $2k worth of camo and it would just look ridiculous🤡. But seriously...to get an elk to come to within 30 yards while wearing a blaze orange hat and vest seems like it would be much more difficult. Most archery elk hunters are not sitting in a tree stand like deer hunters in the Midwest.

I’m shocked, shocked Brent you would pick the old gun season ;)
[/QUOTE]
Indeed. But if muzzleloaders were rocklocks only, things might be different. True, it plays to my ace in the hole, but I chose my aces, in large part, because of this very reason.

That doesn’t really address your point though which was you’d pick a December muzzy hunt with low success rates, but your comment doesn’t really address the larger theme of telling 10k hunters to deal with shitty success rates because a bunch of guys with bows are overly concerned with fashion.
The easy fix is make Archery, Archery again. No pulley, no problem.
Of course, the only real fix is : No More Babies. But that's another topic for another website.

@Jason73 other thing to consider CO just has waaaay more elk hunting than NM, that just necessitates the regulatory structure has to be different.

circa 2018
View attachment 210038
I'd be happy if they took the current amount of tags allotted archery and split them between two two week seasons. Yeah, might not draw every year but it would be a far better experience. The last 2 years since it went draw I've seen more hunters than I used to when otc. I think people believe because it's now draw it's a trophy hunt. It's not.

Most archery elk hunters are not sitting in a tree stand like deer hunters in the Midwest.
Maybe most, but definitely not all. Not by a long shot. And orange doesn't matter even at 30 ft.

But really orange or no orange, or maybe camo-orange, one shouldn't be shooting at nonelk. Demonstrably, the guy in question did.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that in CO you are 1 and done. You get to hunt 1 season, that's it.

Would you honestly pick flintlock as your only chance to kill a deer in PA?

These conversations IMHO get super tribal in CO, I think we need to be method agnostic and give everyone a reasonable chance to harvest an animal. It's a balancing act.
Your right. Given the opportunity to only hunt 1 season and 1 weapon choice I definitely would not be choosing Colorado muzzleloader if it were to land anywhere other than September.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that in CO you are 1 and done. You get to hunt 1 season, that's it.

Would you honestly pick flintlock as your only chance to kill a deer in PA?

These conversations IMHO get super tribal in CO, I think we need to be method agnostic and give everyone a reasonable chance to harvest an animal. It's a balancing act.
If we are only talking PA seasons than absolutely. I’ve shot enough deer in PA to take up flintlock only lol.

Elk hunting on the other hand in a state where I am a non resident I prefer to have any advantage I can.

Hmm maybe instead of requiring archers to wear orange, we should ban all calling during the muzz/archery overlap. That way you'd never call in a muzz hunter! It also might make some archery Youtube content more interesting. Instead of just hiking around blasting a call every hundred feet they'd have to spot and stalk!

Hmm maybe instead of requiring archers to wear orange, we should ban all calling during the muzz/archery overlap. That way you'd never call in a muzz hunter! It also might make some archery Youtube content more interesting. Instead of just hiking around blasting a call every hundred feet they'd have to spot and stalk!
If you think the Hushin guys cry a lot now I’d hate to see them if your suggestion was implemented.

Try archery hunting. You don't walk around blasting calls every hundred feet. There are plenty of times the elk are silent and the only option is spot and stalk. If the elk woods are quiet they don't just respond because you "blast" a call.

The correct answer is clearly the safety sticker method devised by MA, yes it’s a real thing, yes it’s actually the law.

2C4A81C0-8698-4648-81C6-E70BAD75A047.jpeg

Last edited:
The correct answer is clearly the safety sticker method devised by MA, yes it’s a real thing, yes it’s actually the law.

View attachment 210053
I recall about 20 years ago when I lived in MN a guy took his son turkey hunting. The boy decided to walk back to his dad. I don't need to go further. After the officials were called it turned out dad was hammered. Kids don't look like turkeys either. Such a tragedy.

I recall about 20 years ago when I lived in MN a guy took his son turkey hunting. The boy decided to walk back to his dad. I don't need to go further. After the officials were called it turned out dad was hammered. Kids don't look like turkeys either. Such a tragedy.
My stomach dropped just reading that.

@Jason73 other thing to consider CO just has waaaay more elk hunting than NM, that just necessitates the regulatory structure has to be different.

circa 2018
View attachment 210038
I've been looking at this for the last 10 minutes and it's pretty interesting. One thing that jumped out is that Oregon and Montana have very similar numbers of hunters and elk, but Montana harvests roughly twice the number of elk...

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back