Boundary Hunting Question

dragginwood

Hey Guys,

I've read a lot about hunting boundary areas. Curious what insight you guys have in the following scenario:

Let's assume that I am hunting a unit boundary which has the same public national forest in both Units. A shot is placed on a deer or elk legally and within the unit boundary in which I am permitted. The animal then crosses the unit boundary, again, still on public land. Is it legal to track and retrieve the game?

I've been digging through the regs online and haven't found anything that covers the topic.

I'd call the nearest NFS Office and ask if they want a call if something like that would happen or should you just just go ahead and track it and hopefully retrieve it. I'd also get the name of the person you talked to and write it down in case something happens contrary to what they told you.

Last edited:
I would just document where the animal was hit originally via a picture of the blood trail and a GPS mark and then track it down and deal with it.

Just hope it doesn't require a finishing shot, then you might have some issues with the regulations.

+1 on contacting authorities. However, I would also say the likelihood of having to actually justify is next to zero.

I can't see why the forest service would care in any way, they don't regulate hunting.

With your question you should be fine. I think there could be some chance a state officer could be concerned, but you should have a pretty good case for showing them what occurred and where things occurred.

Let's assume we're talking national forest. The wildlife regulation is the authority of the state wildlife agency. The land manager is the Forest Service. Legally speaking, you are fine stepping foot on the national forest, no matter. The problem is in taking possession of the animal. In that case, i would report it to the local game warden, as soon as practical. But I wouldn't bother the Forest Service LEO, unless that happens to be easier. I think most state game wardens would be very understanding.

BUT here is another scenario. In some places, national parks abut national forest. National forests are open to hunting, parks generally closed. BUT if you shoot an elk on national forest, it may swim the river or cross the boundary and expire on national park. In that case, you're advised to go call a national park ranger BEFORE you follow the elk into the park. The Park Service takes these things seriously. It can be very confusing. For example in Glacier National Park, the western park boundary is the middle of the main channel of the North Fork of the Flathead River, while the southern border of the park is the high water mark on the park side of the Middle Fork of the Flathead. Rangers guard this line jealously and there is some good hunting along the borders, but you have to be careful.

I can't see why the forest service would care in any way, they don't regulate hunting.

With your question you should be fine. I think there could be some chance a state officer could be concerned, but you should have a pretty good case for showing them what occurred and where things occurred.

I have no idea why I said the NFS Office, since I should have said if you contact anyone it would be the nearest state G&F Office that's the regulatory agency and not the NFS!

I would highly recommend contacting the local Game and Fish warden before retrieving the animal. I asked a question to a warden about walking through an area open to the public but I wasn't allowed to hunt, to access the area I was allowed to hunt. He said if he ran into me in the field he probably wouldn't believe I wasn't hunting, but since I told him my plan he would not have an issue if he ran into me in the field. He thanked me for asking the question and giving him a heads up. When dealing with a game warden it is always better to be on the up and up and ask first.

My opinion, it depends on the circumstances. If the regs are same, say either sex elk and you can legally be there, go get it. If not (diferent regs say) make sure you have your spots, evidence etc. marked so if you have to go back to the kill site you can prove it. And then take care of the meat, if for some reason you have to report it, then at least you can prove it. As long as it was legally shot I really don't see the problem, at least not here anyway.
I agree with Mr Long though about the Park, there you'll want to make sure you cover your butt.

Last edited:
Yes to the OP Q.

I would flag my shot position, flag my hit location and be on my merry way to recover / harvest. (Flag = GPS and orange ribbon).
Once in cell area, I would call FWP and notify them of the situation. If they want to investigate further they will meet with ya and marked locations will assist in your claim.

Mark your shooting position, first blood and location of carcass on your gps. Pack it out and call it good. I wouldn’t waste anyone’s time to tell them I did nothing wrong.

On the contrary, if you shoot something in one unit and it goes into another unit that you don't have a tag for even if it's public land you HAVE to contact the warden before you can pursue the animal. You have not legally harvested the animal until it expires. The same as if it goes on to private land.

Dirtclod, contact me --- I've got phone numbers for most Az. wildlife managers. Don't follow up into an adjacent hunt unit without their help ...

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back