Caribou Gear Tarp

Boulder County, CO - How many buckets of red paint will be thrown at us for wearing orange?

I've got the late season doe tag in Golden gate park and am considering trying out the "shock pouch" method of pack out that meateater just did a video on. https://www.themeateater.com/watch/6209664304001/how-to-shock-pouch-a-deer-with-clay-newcomb
I'm intrigued... but I wonder if it's legal in a lot of states. I'm going to bone out an animal everytime baring access to a tractor or a legal requirement to bring them out more intact. States like Maine require a deer to be carried out whole, I'm not sure this qualifies.

That was probably a great method before backpacks with a frame were invented... It just looks painful.
Also... I'm not stoked about all the blood dripping all over me during the pack out. I'm a princess.

I've got the late season doe tag in Golden gate park and am considering trying out the "shock pouch" method of pack out that meateater just did a video on. https://www.themeateater.com/watch/6209664304001/how-to-shock-pouch-a-deer-with-clay-newcomb

Shot a cow elk in the park last year. Everyone was friendly, most were interested. Made for the longest 2 mile pack out of my life. I think I had 5-6 different 15 minute conversations on the way out on the first trip. 3 or 4 on the second. Most conversations started with them asking if I saw or caught anything. The blood on the pants and red and white game bags weren’t enough of a tell.

I’ve had similar experiences to others in my day-hunting around Park City, UT which is pretty liberal / tree hugging as well. I’m generally hiking in on fairly heavily traveled recreation trails (before branching off the main trail into areas where the hikers/bikers don’t go) and often encounter hikers and bikers. I’ve never had a negative experience. Most just pass by and offer or respond to a greeting, some give strange looks (but I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt that they just assume I’m hunting from the trail vs. just hiking in on it), and many actually inquire about my hunting. Of the non-hunting public, I think a significant minority are truly anti-hunting. I think many are perfectly fine with other people hunting, it’s just not something they have an interest in themselves. At least that’s been my experience.

Last edited:
Son gets high country archery tags and generally has positive interactions with hikers.
The only awkward situation was the family, mom, dad, and two young kids. The wife was loudly asking the husband about his prison sex life when he was in the pen. The whole mountainside could hear it.

My buddy got his doe. It was weird hunting so near houses and people that were just out camping, etc (I've been doing mostly backcountry trips since I moved to CO). It reminded me of hunting in MN/WI. We saw several other successful hunters and lots of other guys out hunting, so we definitely did not feel like oddballs.

My buddy got his doe. It was weird hunting so near houses and people that were just out camping, etc (I've been doing mostly backcountry trips since I moved to CO). It reminded me of hunting in MN/WI. We saw several other successful hunters and lots of other guys out hunting, so we definitely did not feel like oddballs.
Congrats on the deer! Yeah that area is not much of a Wilderness experience. I lived in the foothills West of Boulder for over 10 years and never once had a problem with anti-hunter harassment. The locals all hate target shooters and transients though.

That's a great call!

I'm also wondering what the best cheese pairing is? I assume @COEngineer has procured some sort of pot cheese for his outing.
I’m doing smoked CO turkey as an app tomorrow with a Provençal cheese from these guys (did a lot of work for a client in Marin a few years ago and they turned me on to this stuff):

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back