Bottle or Cans....Am I crazy?

I feel that the
Can opening creates more carbonation fizz than the bottle and I would feel more bloated quicker drinking out of cans. Bottles pour smother .

I didn't until this Christmas...

GO_HERO-Red_67d9bdef-9e03-4bfb-9c7a-472b9c6d71e3.jpg
Between finding this and @BrentD ’s video with the squirrel skinning jig I feel like I’m living in the 22nd century.

Between finding this and @BrentD ’s video with the squirrel skinning jig I feel like I’m living in the 22nd century.
I’ve wanted a kegerator my entire adult life, but I’ve always known it’s too much power and temptation.
But this only holds 10 beers and it’s only $149.
I might be able to handle it.

Glass is more recyclable than aluminum cans and also has a significantly lower footprint than aluminum.
I thought this was a slam-dunk. I was going to link a simple article that says aluminum is clearly the better choice... Unfortunately, it's another one of those rather complicated issues. The most basic summation I can come up with is this:

"All-in-all, recycling a can uses 90% less energy than recycling a glass bottle, said Cranes. But to produce a tonne of virgin aluminium from bauxite can use 10x as much electricity as manufacturing the same amount of glass from sand." From here: https://www.euronews.com/green/2019...ium-cans-which-are-better-for-the-environment

That sentence does not account for cost of shipping (a glass bottle is heavier than a can) or the volume of trash if it's not recycled (a bottle does not compact in the landfill) or probably a hundred other considerations.

I thought this was a slam-dunk. I was going to link a simple article that says aluminum is clearly the better choice... Unfortunately, it's another one of those rather complicated issues. The most basic summation I can come up with is this:

"All-in-all, recycling a can uses 90% less energy than recycling a glass bottle, said Cranes. But to produce a tonne of virgin aluminium from bauxite can use 10x as much electricity as manufacturing the same amount of glass from sand." From here: https://www.euronews.com/green/2019...ium-cans-which-are-better-for-the-environment

That sentence does not account for cost of shipping (a glass bottle is heavier than a can) or the volume of trash if it's not recycled (a bottle does not compact in the landfill) or probably a hundred other considerations.
Don't forget the process that go into making that glass into a bottle or a aluminum into a can. For the bottle you just take the glass and form it into a bottle. The aluminum must be formed, then lined and printed with inks that will print on the can(much taller task than printing a paper label). Also to recycle a can you must burn off these chemical linings. I don't know if you have ever been to an aluminum plant but the byproducts coming from them aren't all that great either. I'm not against cans by any means but people really don't understand what goes into these types of things.

Beer always tastes better out of a bottle, plus the thicker glass keeps the beer colder.
Draft is my second choice.

Don't like bars that give you a canned beer. Cans are for in the boat, on the tailgate, out in the shop, etc. when quantity & convenience is more important than quality.
I don't dislike ice cold canned beer, it's just not my preference if there are options.

When at home I almost exclusively drink from my tap at home, from my homebrew. I used to bottle my homebrew and take it out camping/fishing and such but those bottles are a pain to deal with after you drink them. So now I just buy some beer, sometimes its fancy beer, sometimes it's cheap, in cans and throw them in the cooler whenever I am headed out somewhere. Don't have to worry about them breaking and clean up is much easier. Bottle or cans taste the same to me.

Side note: Broken bottles in a cooler that has been riding in your raft to your fishing spot is such a downer when you pop open the cooler for your first cold one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back