Boris the Bison

ELKCHSR

Makes 200-Mile Migration
Sat Mar 13, 1:57 PM ET Add Science - AP to My Yahoo!

JACKSON, Wyo. - Even in a herd of 750, Boris the bison stands out.

His hair is a reddish rust color instead of the more common black or brown. His horns are wider and thicker and his head appears big for his body — even by bison standards.

But Boris is unique in more than just appearance.

Each year, the aging bull bison plods more than 200 miles round-trip from Yellowstone National Park's Hayden Valley to Jackson Hole and back again — a record-making trip in some eyes.

"As far as we know this is the longest migration of any American bison ever recorded," said Steve Cain, senior wildlife biologist for Grand Teton National Park.

Biologists like Cain say they know of no other bison that regularly migrates such a long distance in either the Jackson bison herd — which numbers 729 — or Yellowstone herd — which exceeds 4,000.

Cain first began tracking Boris' travels in 1996. Dots on a map representing locations of his radio transmitter show Boris follows highways past many tourist destinations as he lumbers between Yellowstone and Grand Teton each year.

Park staff have routinely reported his whereabouts.

"He was very fondly looked after by people in the park that knew him," Cain said.

Unlike many bison, Boris has somehow avoided being struck by a car or other demises in his many travels — a feat biologists call impressive.

"Boris has obviously learned to be savvy on roads," Cain said.

Biologists tracked Boris until 2000, when he lost his radio transmitter and they lost track of him.

This January, Boris turned up on National Elk Refuge feed lines looking a little skinny. The bull bison weighed about 2,000 pounds in his prime, Cain said.

"We've had a little bit of a tough winter, and he's probably had a tough time making a living," Cain said. "It's natural to follow the environmental gradient south looking for environmental pickings."

Biologists don't know how old Boris is, but the bull's teeth are worn down to the gum line. Bison in captivity can live for 20 to 25 years.

I bet he would is really cool looking, I would really like to see a picture of him. Have you ever seen him Elkhunter?
Quick Draw

LOL scottymack :D :D
Nope, aint seen Ol Boris QD. I will keep my eyes open for him though. If I do see him, I will get a picture.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back