Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Border coues deer hunt

mixedbag

well I didn't draw my wy. elk tag so either going to Montana again or for coues deer for a change of pace.Are the border rifle hunts worth the trip?Its my understanding I can get one of these tags on a leftover.Its a LOOONGGG trip and just want to make sure I have decent odds at success and not just sitting and spotting illegals all day.I don't mind wearing out the shoe leather.So anyone who has done the hunt,what are your thoughts.Not looking for any giants,just a decent buck as I will be a little picky.Or, should I try another area in the draw next year??
Thanks for any advise

well I didn't draw my wy. elk tag so either going to Montana again or for coues deer for a change of pace.Are the border rifle hunts worth the trip?Its my understanding I can get one of these tags on a leftover.Its a LOOONGGG trip and just want to make sure I have decent odds at success and not just sitting and spotting illegals all day.I don't mind wearing out the shoe leather.So anyone who has done the hunt,what are your thoughts.Not looking for any giants,just a decent buck as I will be a little picky.Or, should I try another area in the draw next year??
Thanks for any advise

I've hunted a border unit, intend to again this year.

Theres a lot of deer, illegals are there, but not the problem that many think. Lots of glassing involved, mixed with a pretty good amount of hiking as well. I'd say for every hour of hiking, you probably spend 5-6 hours behind glass.

I dont know that it's possible to have a bad coues hunt...

When can I buy a leftover tag,and what are the normal season dates(rifle).Thanks for letting me know your experience with the hunt.I do appreciate it

When can I buy a leftover tag,and what are the normal season dates(rifle).

The app deadline for this years deer hunts isn't until June-- probably the 11th-- so you can either put into the draw for any hunt you want, or wait for the leftover list to come out towards the end of July. This years hunt regs will come out sometime in May with this years season dates and hunt numbers, but in the mean time you should check out azgfd.gov. On the main page there is a section for Hunting that has various other links-- the ones that would interest you are "Where to hunt", and "Rules and Regulations." The where to hunt link will let you check out individual units for things like amount of public land, access issues, available species, etc. Once you find a unit or units that you are interested in, go to the rules and regulations, and you can download last years regs. It has past draw odds for all of the various hunts, dates of the hunts, success rates, all of that awesome number crunching crap. That should at least give you an idea of what specific hunts should have leftovers.

I've spent essentially zero time in southern AZ, so I can't help you with anything specific. I just thought I'd let you know that you still have plenty of time to research your options.

If you don't put in or don't draw a tag the AZGFD will put out a list of leftover tags when the draw results come out.

There is a date listed when they will start accecpting applications for leftovers by mail only. There is also a date when leftover tags will be available over the counter at G&F offices, usually a week after they start accepting them by mail.

Most of the southern units have 4 rifle hunts for whitetail. The first 3 hunts usually have leftovers, the late December hunt is usually ~10% draw odds.

Last year's dates were:
Oct.26 - Nov. 1
Nov. 9 - Nov. 15
Nov. 30 - Dec. 9
Dec. 14 - Dec. 31

I recommend mailing the leftover app as the more popular tags (late Oct. and late Nov.) can go fast.

Look at units that have lots of Forest Service lands as some units have very limited public access down there.

Good luck, hope you make it out here for a hunt.

I've hunted a border unit, intend to again this year.

Theres a lot of deer, illegals are there, but not the problem that many think. Lots of glassing involved, mixed with a pretty good amount of hiking as well. I'd say for every hour of hiking, you probably spend 5-6 hours behind glass.

I dont know that it's possible to have a bad coues hunt...

The "illegals" can be a problem...:hump:

But I agree .. lots of deer.... My advise... have several hunters in your group..and. keep an eye on your camp... or stay in a hotel.. I love the Patigonia area's.... plenty of lodging around ... also consider staying at Patigonia lake[ base camp].. I whacked 2 nice coues right behing the lake...back in the day

If you are going to buy the license I would just put in for a prime hunt (most people consider that one of the December hunts) and then pick up a leftover if you don't draw that. Coues are a lot of fun are quickly becoming be favorite game animal behind elk.

I don't worry too much about illegals but I do know that there are people out there that do. Haven't had any negative experiences myself. Besides, I'm not going to let illegals take scare me away from enjoying some of my rights.

If you don't put in or don't draw a tag the AZGFD will put out a list of leftover tags when the draw results come out.

There is a date listed when they will start accecpting applications for leftovers by mail only. There is also a date when leftover tags will be available over the counter at G&F offices, usually a week after they start accepting them by mail.

Most of the southern units have 4 rifle hunts for whitetail. The first 3 hunts usually have leftovers, the late December hunt is usually ~10% draw odds.

Last year's dates were:
Oct.26 - Nov. 1
Nov. 9 - Nov. 15
Nov. 30 - Dec. 9
Dec. 14 - Dec. 31

I recommend mailing the leftover app as the more popular tags (late Oct. and late Nov.) can go fast.

Look at units that have lots of Forest Service lands as some units have very limited public access down there.

Good luck, hope you make it out here for a hunt.

Enjoying reading this thread and certainly a good option to obtain another tag for a travelling hunter who might be over for a hunt for another animal.

Would you say in regards to the tags selling out fast that the actual unit choice dicates whether the tags go quick or the hunt dates or a combination of both. I am thinking the first hunt might not have had as much pressure as say the 3rd hunt, but then the 3rd hunt could see active bucks covering a bit more ground in the pre rut phase making them more visual even though a few hunters might have walked ridges over the preceeding hunts. Or is cooler weather a factor in keeping a few deer on their feet in the later dates? Not sure, i haven't hunted Coues, but ive spent plenty of time on normal whitetail, i'm just trying to work out why certain hunt dates in the first 3 hunts where leftover licences are typically available would be more attractive then others.

long range glassing in remote country where plenty of hiking is involved is certainly good ingredients for an ejoyable hunt.

Last edited:
Well its either this hunt or possibly a Tx auodad trip for this year.Anybody interested in teaming up for a coues hunt??Send me a pm

The October hunt is often referred to as "the sunburn special". The weather can still be in the
80's, the snakes are usually still out but the bucks won't have had much pressure.

The late November hunt has 2 weekends instead of 1, so they are more popular than the mid November hunt.

the late dec hunts are in the rut. they have the fewest tags but are highly sought after. all of my coues experience is in 35a and 35b. both are good units with lots of leftover tags. camping at parker canyon lake in 35a is a good option. you can hunt all day and not worry about your camp.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back