Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Border closure and spring outfitting season

Sasquatchewan

It's been a year that the CAD/USA land border has been closed and signs of the border re-opening in time for spring bear season aren't good. We've seen a lot more human/bear interaction last summer and with outfitters not running baits last spring, resident bait sites were getting serious hits in 2020. The article below mentions that there were approx. 2000 less bears taken in 2020 vice 2019, from international hunters, I've seen this number ranging from 2000 to 3000 in various articles. The biggest issue isn't necessarily the number of bears taken, but the greatly reduced number of bait sites which means bears will compete for a smaller food source or will have to venture onto farmland. I've heard tons of guys who live on the forest fringe talking about unusual bear activity last summer in comparison to previous years and a lot more cattle/human interaction with bears. In terms of hunting, this spring should be even better for resident hunters but the reality of it is that outfitters are going into their second cancelled spring bear season. I'm sure this same scenario applies to other Provinces, not just Saskatchewan.

The article below mentions a raise in tag sales in Saskatchewan for 2020 but it is most likely due to the quota being raised to two bears in many zones, vice the amount of new resident bear hunter interest. The 2021 spring bear season should be a great one for resident and Canadian resident hunters but again, outfitters are taking a huge hit. Canadian residents seem to have little interest in investing in these resident hunts as the price tags are pretty steep, on the other hand, outfitters need to be able to run their outfits and can't just give away hunts. There's lots of hopes for 2021 fall hunting season, let's hope this border opens soon!!!

https://globalnews.ca/news/7731596/international-tourists-saskatchewan-bear-numbers/

Sasky bear for your viewing pleasure!
20200515_210815.jpg

Really looking forward to the border opening back up. I was up to Ontario in 2018 for a spring bear hunt and some fantastic walleye fishing and back again in 2019 for more walleye. We always have a great time in Canada.

My farm family friends where I stay in Saskatchewan, said they and their neighbors really missed me last fall. They had severe grain crop damage from waterfowl. Hoping I can get back north for several planned fishing and hunting trips. My wife is hoping the border opens soon so we can drive the 10 miles up to her favorite restaurant !

Ya..... the border is staying closed for the Fall. I bet also you we need to show you've been vaccinated also. Something to add too your passport maybe

Ya..... the border is staying closed for the Fall. I bet also you we need to show you've been vaccinated also. Something to add too your passport maybe
It would be nice if the us and Canada could come to an agreement and at least have a strategy as to opening the border, like if A,B, and C are met we will reopen the border. But right now they just close it for 30 days and say they will reevaluate at that time. So businesses, property owners, fisherman, hunters and tourists are all left wondering if they will be able to go to Canada this year.

Feel bad for my buddy in Manitoba. He had 30 beaver carcasses ready to go for spring season. Looks like he will miss out on the bear hunters and fishermen for another year. I'm not sure how he is sticking around since the residents are such a small percent of his revenue stream.

In addition to the outfitters in Canada, the city of Calgary had a huge financial loss last year and 2021 is still not for sure. I have attended the Calgary Stampede for twelve straight years before 2020. I understand the Stampede itself lost 25 million, plus the loss of revenue for all the other business's around the grounds.

On a personal note, we had planned to canoe the Mackenzie river in 2021, but might need to push that out a bit. Time will tell.

Cheyenne had told me that the outfitters in The Yukon Territory, had come up with a plan that would allow hunters from other Provinces in Canada to "quarantine" --while they hunted, in a effort to allow the outfitters to book some hunts, but that the cost of those hunts were so high, very few citizens of Canada could afford them.

I bet there are also some snowboarders on the forum who visit the slopes in Canada. As well as a few fishermen who like to fish in Canada.

I dont follow the NBA, but was wondering if the NBA team in Toronto, was able to travel to the States this season and vice versa ? Hockey teams in Canada and the States that compete with each other, how are they doing that, if they are ?

What is the chances of an election in 2021 rather than at the scheduled end of Trudeau’s four-year term in 2023?
Would there be a substantial change in policy if Trudeau is voted out of office?

With only 12% of our population vaccinated in with their first shot..... ya it ain't happenin anytime till the next year. I'm 32 and I'm not able to get my first vaccine shot until July.

As for sports teams. The Raptors are playing out of Tampa and Canadian hockey teams are only playing in Canada

It would be nice if the us and Canada could come to an agreement and at least have a strategy as to opening the border, like if A,B, and C are met we will reopen the border. But right now they just close it for 30 days and say they will reevaluate at that time. So businesses, property owners, fisherman, hunters and tourists are all left wondering if they will be able to go to Canada this year.
Agreed, the complete lack of plan and transparency is ridiculous. Both sides of the border have been feeling the repercussions of the land border closure for a year now, the fact that there is absolutely no plan in place for the re-opening is quite frustrating.

Don't tell me when, I'm Ok with that, but at least tell me what the milestones we need to reach before it opens. We're talking about the largest land border between any two countries, not only that, but our two countries are probably two of the strongest allies to date. I think both countries have their share of the blame when it comes to the lack of "planning". Canada tried to hold the "moral high ground" at first when our cases were much lower than the US' but now the tide is changing and now we're the vaccine begging nation falling behind...

That will be a great adventure. Canoeing the far north has really piqued my interest lately.

We canoed the Yukon and loved it. The Mackenzie will be much easier. Shorter, no rapids, and we will not canoe the lake, like we did the Yukon. If we had the Yukon to do over, we would have started at Whitehorse. We have not lost our sponsor due to the possible delay, but if we dont get it done this year, two of the four of us will probably not be able to go, as one is getting married and the other is transferring and starting a new job, so maybe it will only be one canoe and two women if it doesn't happen until 2022. Hope you also get it done one day

I wish the two countries could come up with a reasonable “joint” plan. After not being able to see our youngest daughter for nearly a year we just drove 16 hours (round trip) and incurred gas, hotel, meal costs just to visit in the park (Peace Arch) for three hours. She’s supposed to be in her sisters wedding this fall but?
Guess I’m just whining, people have it far worse than this but it is a tad frustrating.

Calgary is my birth home town, Utah is my home now. Tons of family and friends live in Canada. I can’t wait to get “home” for a visit.

Crazy thing is, you don’t really know how much you miss it until something is gone.

... but that’s how I look at freedoms as well. Canada and USA are probably 2 of the best examples of “free” countries. I don’t want to see this lost because of unnecessary government overreach, which in my opinion, is the way things seem to be heading.

We canoed the Yukon and loved it. The Mackenzie will be much easier. Shorter, no rapids, and we will not canoe the lake, like we did the Yukon. If we had the Yukon to do over, we would have started at Whitehorse. We have not lost our sponsor due to the possible delay, but if we dont get it done this year, two of the four of us will probably not be able to go, as one is getting married and the other is transferring and starting a new job, so maybe it will only be one canoe and two women if it doesn't happen until 2022. Hope you also get it done one day
Good to know about the Yukon. I plan to do the border route the summer I turn 40, I’m 37 now. It’s from international falls mn to Lake Superior. When I turn 50 I plan on doing the Yukon.

Poor berry crop last summer didn’t help bears stay “hidden” and out of trouble either. Plan to set baits out in a couple weeks

Going to head north of PA mid-Apr and start baiting. How's the snow in the bush where you are?
Was hardly any left on march 31 took the scenic route hime from ice fishing to check out the trails I bait on. Honestly could have got in then. But I’ll be patient even baiting early with the weather good takes a bit for the bears to get moving and hitting baits.

Back