Caribou Gear Tarp

Boots for Hawaii (Lanai Axis Hunt)

Arrogant1

Hey y'all. I've been drawn for an Axis hunt on Lanai in May 2023. I live in the south and mostly wear muck boots for hunting purposes, so I am looking for recommendations on boots that would be ideal for Lanai. @glass eye do you have any recommendations since you have considerable insight on Hawaii hunts?

Hey y'all. I've been drawn for an Axis hunt on Lanai in May 2023. I live in the south and mostly wear muck boots for hunting purposes, so I am looking for recommendations on boots that would be ideal for Lanai. @glass eye do you have any recommendations since you have considerable insight on Hawaii hunts?
Sheep hunting boots but some types of lava will shred them. Lana'i lava isn't that bad.

I'd vote for Kenetrek Guide boots, since they can be resoled by Kenetrek I don't consider them "disposable" boots like crispi and a few others.
I also just ordered the Kenetrek Mountain Guide 400. I’ll try them both out and return the pair that I like least. Love the thought of having Kenetrek’s being able to be resoled.

I also just ordered the Kenetrek Mountain Guide 400. I’ll try them both out and return the pair that I like least. Love the thought of having Kenetrek’s being able to be resoled.
Idont think I'd wear the Guide 400 to Hawaii. The Kenetrek leather is extremely thick, plus the windtex liner, and then the padded interior makes NI boots almost feel insulated (IMO)
You living in the south, I doubt your going to use insulated boots very much unless you hunt out of state more than once a year. It all comes down to personal preference and heat tolerance I suppose.

I'm hot blooded, so ymmv

Idont think I'd wear the Guide 400 to Hawaii. The Kenetrek leather is extremely thick, plus the windtex liner, and then the padded interior makes NI boots almost feel insulated (IMO)
You living in the south, I doubt your going to use insulated boots very much unless you hunt out of state more than once a year. It all comes down to personal preference and heat tolerance I suppose.

I'm hot blooded, so ymmv
I do hunt Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, and Minnesota most years, so I could get use out of them but I do appreciate the point that you are making. Looking forward to getting them both in and seeing how they compare. They both seem like really good brands/boots. Again, I do like the idea of being able to have the kenetrek resoled by the company.

For hunting in Lanai's terrain, lightweight and breathable boots are key due to the warmer climate. I'd suggest looking into hunting boots like the kalkal, Merrell Moab 2 Vent or the Keen Targhee Vent. They offer good traction and support while keeping your feet cool.

Last edited:
Back