MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Boot reviews?

duckhunt

Looking to upgrade my boots a little bit. As for the hunting I do here in Iowa I don't need anything fancy, just want something comfortable. My western hunts so far are antelope hunts but hopefully may do an elk hunt this year. Without breaking the bank I've been researching a couple and somewhat narrowed it down to 2 . These are not insulated (I already have nice insulated boots). Any thoughts on Danner pronghorn or kenetrek corrie 3.2?

REI is where you need to buy your boots. One year return, no questions asked, although after my salmons failed the water test, the guy behind the counter did mention they like them dry (water was running out of the box onto the counter).

Lol that is awsome.

Schnees Beartooths have been great for me. They’re not cheap boots, but they’re durable. I upgraded a year or so ago and it’s been a game changer.

I also have Danner Alsea 400g boots…they’re comfortable but I usually end the day with wet feet from poor breathability. My beartooths are uninsulated, but I wore them hunting from a stand well into November in both NY and Maine. Dry feet = warm feet.

I’ve used Hanwag Alaska for the past four years. I love them. They are a stiffer boot. I have ankle issues and they have been gold for me. I bought a pair of Hanwag Alverstones but only put a few miles on them.

With so many YouTube Hunters using Hanwag it’s made them more readily available and easier to get.

My next pair of lighter hikers might be Asolo Fugitives. My Salomons have treated me really well so far though.

Love my Lowa boots.
Tibets, insulated Tibet superwarm, and Camino's.
I wore the Camino's daily for 2 years and they're being resoled & conditioned in Germany now. Excellent lightweight boot.
The Superwarms are 5 now and like new. The name says it. Total stability.
The Tibets have been worn everyday the Camino's have been away that's not real cold. Teens,no problemo.
1st time I put them on I thought, armored gloves on my feet.

I’ve used Hanwag Alaska for the past four years. I love them. They are a stiffer boot. I have ankle issues and they have been gold for me. I bought a pair of Hanwag Alverstones but only put a few miles on them.

With so many YouTube Hunters using Hanwag it’s made them more readily available and easier to get.
How’s the sizing on the Hanwags are they true to size?

Looking to upgrade my boots a little bit. As for the hunting I do here in Iowa I don't need anything fancy, just want something comfortable. My western hunts so far are antelope hunts but hopefully may do an elk hunt this year. Without breaking the bank I've been researching a couple and somewhat narrowed it down to 2 . These are not insulated (I already have nice insulated boots). Any thoughts on Danner pronghorn or kenetrek corrie 3.2?
My first pair of Kenetrek boots were the corrie 3.2 Wow I now have pair of Mt. Extreme's and a pair of hardscrabble's The Corrie3.2 is great pair of boots they run a llitle bigger then the rest of Kenetrek's boots as they come from a different factory. I have worn Danners exclusively for the last 18 years before buying my first pair of Kenetrek's I speak to your two choices and won't try to add my brand. Kenetrek gets my vote Hands down. Good luck in yur boot search I think yur on the right track! 😎

How’s the sizing on the Hanwags are they true to size?
I wear a size 13 in all my athletic shoes. The Alaska’s are true to size. Because they are European I bought wide and was very happy. Otherwise true to size. The Alverstones needed to go up one size. GoHUNT has a size guide on their site. It’s pretty spot on.

I bought a pair of Crispi Hunter GTX in 2016 in preparation for an Alaska hunt. They've held up very well and are my go-to when I need a lot of support plus comfort and dryness. I also use a pair of Scarpa SL Activ, which I also really like, for my uninsulated non-GTX boot. I treat both with boot wax a couple times a year and I expect them to last many more years. For reference, I'm a big guy with narrow feet and huge calves so it took me trying MANY different boots to really find what I liked.

Those Pronghorns are fine. They were the most expensive shoe I’d ever purchased when I bought mine a few years ago. I’ve since learned that they’re cheap compared to some of the more mountain oriented boots. I’ve since bought some of them pricier ones, but still use the Danner’s from time to time and have put many of comfortable miles on them.

As others have mentioned though, I’d perhaps buy a more versatile hiking boot from REI were I to go back in time. I’ve covered a lot of elk country in the Pronghorns, but alongside friends that were in good old fashioned sub $200 hikers (that they also use for full time backcountry trail work).

All in all it sounds like you’re mostly hunting out of the mountains and should buy whatever is comfortable for where you hunt the most. Don’t feel the need to buy some $400+ pair ‘cause you’re thinking about elk hunting sometime. The saying in surfing goes “buy the board for the waves you surf most, not the ones you dream about surfing someday.” I think the same applies to rifle calibers, gear, etc.

I used to love Danner Pronghorns. I had several pair, NI, Insulated, etc Then Danner changed the boot (for some reason), changing the toebox which in turn changed the outer apppearance. They are now (I think), made in China, not in the U.S. like some other Danners. The fit was much different with the newer Pronghorns than the older style. I couldn't get them to fit me correctly, so I moved on to Kenetrek Mountain Extreme, and now Crispi Wild Rock, Wyoming, and Idaho.

I have no comparison with any of the other boots listed, but I’ve been wearing Pronghorns every year out-west, and here in Michigan, for about 11 years now. I’m on my second pair. Keep in mind, I only hunt out-west a week to 10 days a year, so I put no where near the miles on the other guys here do. Anyway, Pronghorns work for me.

I'm almost embarrassed to say this, but for about 80% of my hunting I'm still using the same "Black Cadillac's" I was issued at Parris Island almost 50 yrs ago. They still have some good tread left, they are definitely broken in, yet still in amazing shape ! (non-snow conditions only)

Wet conditions....Tractor Store Barn boots.

Snow... LL Bean Packs & felt inserts.

Just seems to work............

So now I am a solid Lowa guy.
Just got my Camino's back from Lowa Boots and resoling. New soles,new rands,new insoles,new laces. Leather reconditioned. Took 3 months(just what they said) and a trip to Germany and no problems.
Quality work on quality boots. Glad I have 3 pairs of Lowa's now.

I've loved the spacing in my Keen boots though I've switched to Oboz.

Great boots with much better long haul integrity and same quality toe space for the wide feet hikers.

Also Oboz made in Monta-n-a... well, crap! Just looked them up to verify and the Sportsman Ski Haus shoe salesperson apparently b.s.'d or didn't realize New Zealand company bought them out and now manufacture them in... Vietnam!

Still must say though, they've doubled the lifespan of my Keen's.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back