Boot/Glove Questions

Lambo

I have my first sheep hunt this year and am going to Alaska (early to mid August). Needless to say I have probably spent as much money on gear as I have the hunt. I have been reviewing a lot of boots on line, lots of good threads here, but living on the east coast (NJ) I have had a hard time getting to retailers that have the variety that are recommended. I have been wearing/training with Salomon's Quest O4 - 4D's, they are goretex. These have not been mentioned in the threads. I have really liked them and rather than dropping another $500 on Birksdales, I thought I would just stick with these. Has anybody here used these.

Regrading gloves - I plan to bring my lite weight wool gloves I use in Maine, but any recommendations for rainy day gloves.

Who are you hunting with for your dall sheep hunt?

Mont Mahoney - Alaska Dall Sheep Guides. He has been great and has provided a full list of gear recommendations. Just thought I would check here as well on a couple items.

Showa fishing gloves! Size them up to fit with some light wool liners! Iv never been in a sheep hunt but used them for ski patrol and it was the ticket for freezing cold rain

I like army surplus wool gloves.

I use them quite a bit, and even winter cat hunting in snow. They still hold heat when wet, and since I have a propensity for losing gloves, I buy a few pairs every year.

As for boots, just make sure your feet are broken into your boots before you go. I have Lowas and Zamberlans and have used both on multiple sheep hunts.

Can't help you on gloves, rarely if ever wear them.

Boots I use meindl. Started using katoola hiking crampons when I had my Wyoming sheep tag. That north fork country has that crumbly, shitty, hard pack rock/soil. Like walking on ball bearings, real PITA.

Fought that the first 5-6 days and when I got out bought the katoola crampons, no problem after that for the other 20 days I hunted rams.

IMG_31271.JPG

Wish I would have had them on my dall hunt. I use them quite a bit all through the year. Great on ice, slick bear grass side hills, mossy rocks crossing creeks, yada yada.

I have my first sheep hunt this year and am going to Alaska (early to mid August). Needless to say I have probably spent as much money on gear as I have the hunt. I have been reviewing a lot of boots on line, lots of good threads here, but living on the east coast (NJ) I have had a hard time getting to retailers that have the variety that are recommended. I have been wearing/training with Salomon's Quest O4 - 4D's, they are goretex. These have not been mentioned in the threads. I have really liked them and rather than dropping another $500 on Birksdales, I thought I would just stick with these. Has anybody here used these.

Regrading gloves - I plan to bring my lite weight wool gloves I use in Maine, but any recommendations for rainy day gloves.
I bought my first pair of crispis in 2019 - they’re showing wear now but are still water proof! Guide gtx. They’re true to size, my next pair will be a half size bigger. Thicker socks will cut off circulation for me. I almost always wear kuiu gaiters

I don’t wear gloves much. I like to bring latex gloves with me to stay dry and for warmth under a leather/wool driving glove if really cold.

Even though I love soft boots and usually push supergaiter trail runners to the limit, I'd guess the Quest 4's would be a little soft for comfort in the steeps as they don't have a carbon midsole, you could mitigate that a lot with crampons like @BuzzH but sometimes getting crampons to stay on a softer boot can be a pain, depends a lot on individual boot/crampon sizing. I find a lightweight crampon-compatible boot with carbon midsole and sharp edged sole to be pretty ideal.

I've been loving the La Sportiva Aequilibrium ST for mountain hunting, light, stiff, still pretty comfortable on the trail, and takes crampons easily... in that same category would be Scarpa Ribelle tech if you have wider feet, probably easier to find one of those at a retailer than the more dedicated hunting brands.

Even though I love soft boots and usually push supergaiter trail runners to the limit, I'd guess the Quest 4's would be a little soft for comfort in the steeps as they don't have a carbon midsole, you could mitigate that a lot with crampons like @BuzzH but sometimes getting crampons to stay on a softer boot can be a pain, depends a lot on individual boot/crampon sizing. I find a lightweight crampon-compatible boot with carbon midsole and sharp edged sole to be pretty ideal.

I've been loving the La Sportiva Aequilibrium ST for mountain hunting, light, stiff, still pretty comfortable on the trail, and takes crampons easily... in that same category would be Scarpa Ribelle tech if you have wider feet, probably easier to find one of those at a retailer than the more dedicated hunting brands.
GrantK - this is excellent feedback. Thank you. The Quests have been so comfortable that I was wondering why they were never listed for the mountain hunting. Your explanation helps. Ordered a pair of Crispis and if those do not work/fit, I will try the la Sportiva's or Scarpas. Thank you

Back