Boot Gaiters

rjthehunter

What's everyone using for gaiters? I was looking at the kenetrek ones but heard some negatives. How about the Outdoor research ones? Or do you run a low end Amazon pair that works well? Just getting a feel for what other guys like before I spend 80$ on them.

I've used a short version of OR gaiters in Africa and was very pleased with them, my brother has the tall Kenetrek gaiters and he's happy with those.

I bought some krptechs pretty nice got a deal on Black Friday at a hardware store. Worked great but I bought a medium and should have went large.

Both the OR crocs an the kenetreks. Kenetrek fixed them a couple times for me which really was impressive. I broke a metal buckle on the crocs recently so ill see soon how OR is with repairs.

I've had the Sitka's. Broke the strap (2x). I've had the Kuiu's for 5 years. They're good, but my calves are too big. I now use the Black Diamond Apex. They're good and a little more forgiving for tree trunk-like calves...

In deep snow OR Crocs. In mixed slop and mud I use the OR Flex-Tex II. I use the flex-tex probably 3x more often than the Croc. As long as the DWR is fresh they keep moisture out pretty well and they breathe/dry fast.

I have Kuiu's but they are too small for my calves. I switched to the Kenetreks for the past three years and have really liked them--no issues for me.

I have a pair of OR, I also have an updated version of the Sitka gaitors, used them all year and they been boom proof.

I bought a pair of cheap amazon ones for my son and his grandpa for the late season elk hunt, they didn't have any issues. They were waterproof nylon outers so would be noisy rubbing together. I'm sure they won't last if heavily used but a hand full times a year should last a very long time, probably lose one first though,.

I've been using the nice ones from Outdoor Research for over 20 years and love them. They keep the pant bottoms dry, which keeps the socks dry, which make more comfortable feet.

I use the outdoor research for snowshoeing, couldn’t tell you what model. But they’re nice and tall. Used to run Kennetreks and they’re alright. They honor their warranty. Sent me a new pair after I ripped mine somehow. The foot opening is just too small for anything bigger than a lightweight hiker. I have a pair of kuiu and I like them. They fit great. But no warranty. Ripped a hole in one the first week when I walked across some frozen slush. The ice ripped it when I punched through I think. Had to pay for them to be repaired. Really if you don’t care about camo, the outdoor research ones are the best IMO.

I use the Kennetreks and they work fine with all my boots. No issues at all and have not had the need to try another brand.

I think I'm going to go the kenetrek route. Might order a set from Amazon that are cheaper and use for work and hunt around home with them in the snow and see how they hold up! Just to give a bit of a review on them. Since they're cheap there's no reason not to at least give them a try!

I have been through several pairs of gaiters through the years. I started with a pair of Cabelas, then OR and now Sitka Thunderheads. The OR shed moisture extremely well, however were a bit noisy for me. I got a deal on the Thunderheads and like them so far. They have a ‘brushed’ finish that makes them quieter which is important to me. Disclaimer - I haven’t been in heavy snow with them lime the OR so I can’t speak to their ability to shed water.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back